Fight or Flight? Could a person be morally responsible for a criminals next victim if they had the chance to stop a criminal but choose to be safe and hide or allow the criminals to get away?

Negative

No

What if you open fire on that criminal stealing your TV that you say you have been trained to stop, and when you miss (because nobody is perfect, real life accuracy is like 20%), you kill the 3 year old next door.

Are you responsible for that? Yes, yes you are. Legally and morally.

Is that a risk worth taking for your TV?

4 Likes

So I hear clamoring in the night. Do I not check out what’s going on? If he doesn’t comply with my demands I could escalate to bear spray. The gun may not need to be drawn at this point. I don’t know what the best answers are. I do know there are many other ways we can train to respond other then run, hide, call police and wait. That attitude is one of a victim. If the bear spray pisses him off and he comes at me it escalates again. Or, at that point, he drops the item and runs. Either way the intruder initiated the encounter. I shouldn’t be afraid to defend myself and property. I think that’s the wrong attitude for approaching a self defense situation. We shouldn’t train to be non-combative. We should train to defend

Okay. Let’s take this one step of the scenario at a time.

Do you have an alarm system at your home?

2 Likes

Where do police get 6 weeks of training?

Around here it is closer to 6 months, and even then you’re probably still in field training at that the 6 month mark and not totally on your own

5 Likes

So you think it’s best to train people to run and hide and call the police?

If I run hide and call the police from a defensive position then I may become a victim of a property crime but my family and I are survivors of a potentially violent confrontation. Putting yourself at extra risk to protect stuff can make you dead. No matter how well trained you are and how poorly trained the criminal is they can still get lucky and put you down.

In your bear spray scenario are you spraying it inside your house? Sounds like a good way to incapacitate yourself. Or are you going outside to spray the criminal? If so do you know exactly where the criminal is or how many friends he has hiding in the shadows? Why leave the safety of your house to confront unknown threats? Sounds like a huge tactical mistake to me.

I think the reason that organizations like USCCA train to avoid confrontations instead of seeking them is because doing so is almost always the surest way to keep you and your family safe from the criminal and the legal system. Most people train for self defense not stuff defense.

6 Likes

Training like that gives criminals incentive. I think your wrong about the legal aspect. Defending yourself and your property is legal. Training people to fear the legal part is wrong. You should train them to know what’s legal and what’s not. I’m not some super trained guy, I just think the philosophy of current training practices is off. It makes more sense to me to train people to stand their ground. I think if more people trained like that crime in general would potentially begin to decrease.

Another point would be that I’m not seeking confrontation. The criminal is the person initiating the conflict. Sometimes I mistakenly refer to pepper spray as bear spray. I need to work on that. I’m no expert or instructor. I’m just spitballing ideas. I love the back and forth though. You make a great argument for staying safe and staying alive. I’m just not convinced it’s the right response.

I think that the only way crime decreases is if the justice system stops releasing hardened criminals back onto the street with a slap on the risk. Also think that disadvantaged kids need better communities, opportunities and role models that don’t dead end them into criminal activities.

I do think that if everyone’s first option is to “stand their ground” instead of doing everything in their power to avoid a confrontation then the hospitals and cemeteries are going to be getting more costumers. I’m not advocating cowering in fear. Just saying I think it is best to avoid conflict whenever possible.

3 Likes

Agree 100% with all of your social points. Also 100% disagree with your self defense point. I think a lot less criminals would get away with whatever it was they wanted. We may even begin to see more successful self defense stories in all of those great publications like Concealed Carry magazines. Inspiring people to take their own personal protection more confidently into their own hands.

Just to play devil’s advocate, how do I better avoid a confrontation if the criminal breaks into my home?

Don’t get me wrong, I agree with avoiding whenever you can. But, my door is locked for mine and their safety. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Insightful question, food for thought per se. Could also depend on exactly what one is doing to “stop” an alleged criminal and what is the actual act by said alleged criminal.

Allowing a criminal to get away? Like he/she is moving away from leaving? Might it depend on exactly what we are doing to try to stop them?

Not all laws are moral or ethical. Are those terms subjective?

Who decides what morally responsible, and how do we define that? Maybe it’s us. Are we distinguishing it from “legal”? Are we ever legally responsible to stop a crime? Are we entrenching on police duties as opposed to civilians who may not have a legal duty?

What can be a consequence morally if we don’t try to stop the criminal or act?

Are we 100% certain that a crime is being committed and are we breaking a law by stopping said alleged criminal?

Fine line between doing the right thing, bravery, and stupidity.

One could get hurt, then who suffers, physically, legally, emotionally, financially?; The hero, the hero’s family? One could even risk losing their right to bear arms another day. If life is on the line of one’s self or a family member, I can see how one could step in.

How would judge and jury representing the specific region you are in, view you and rule on your actions?

Protect oneself and family. Calling 911 or the police non emergency line is one thing; Inserting oneself is drastically different of course.

Not my circus, not my clowns?

Might there be a case where this happened and the initial victim ended up being morally responsible?

IDK.

I’m reminded of a film, where the main actor did himself experience a very high level of feeling morally responsible. It was severe guilt. Initially, he experienced fear. His feeling of guilt was so powerful, he ended up dedicating his life and making the ultimate sacrifice to make up for his not trying to stop the crime:

The Salton Sea (2002)

Interesting topic/post. :blush:

2 Likes

Great response! Thanks!! My thought was it boils down to training. Instead of training a person to find cover and let someone else deal with it, train people to responsibly engage. This kind of training from giants like the USCCA and nra to all of their members could lead to more lawful defenses of life and property. Leading then to more people being inspired to legally defending themselves(this does not necessarily mean with a gun, most criminals would give up or run before that) no madder what the scenario. At home, in the city, on vacation. Ultimately leading to more criminals choosing a different, less dangerous profession.

1 Like

Wow! What a great crowd! Thanks to everybody for their responses, except David38 who makes things up to strengthen his position. Agree or disagree I love hearing from everyone. This was especially tuff because we’ve all been trained to do the opposite of what I’m presenting. Furthermore we’ve been trained to not even mention publicly any other position other then the company position of flight for fear that a prosecutor could use these exact words against a person in a future case. I think fear is so powerful. Powerful enough to control even the strongest of us. We can’t let fear get in the way of doing what’s best.
FEAR HAS TWO MEANINGS
1:Forget Everything And Run
2:FACE Everything And Rise
The choice is yours

1 Like

A criminal who breaks into my home and gets in the way of getting my wife and son to our secure area will definitely be confronted unless they instantly turn tail and run. But once in our secure area I feel I can best protect my family by staying there between them and the threat. Leaving my family to go confront the intruder just puts them in more danger. My secure area has a nice little funnel that gives me a distinct advantage with a much higher chance of success over trying to track down an unknown number of home invaders somewhere in the house. I prefer to choose the ground to make my stand on.

But several of the scenarios presented above and in the related thread added taking additional risks in order to preserve property. At least one of them after the criminals were already fleeing. I don’t think the risk to reward ratio in those scenarios makes sense.

4 Likes

I am afraid a post or two may have been missed in the shuffe:

Okay. Let’s take this one step of the scenario at a time.

Do you have an alarm system at your home?

2 Likes

My opinion — No, the current paradigm is correct and appropriate for dozens of well-reasoned and well-documented reasons. Deincentivizing criminal behavior by civilian violence has (predictable but) unintended bad consequence written all over it.

3 Likes

In the first go-round of Spider-Man movies, the theme was summed up: “With great power comes great responsibility.”

With every new iteration, they try to state the same hero’s dilemma without repeating the same clichĂ©. The stated question reminds me of some of their more awkward attempts. If I see something bad happening and I have the ability, do I then have the moral obligation to act?

I don’t think I can answer this for anyone but myself. Just bear in mind that we have laws that regulate what we can and cannot do when we think something bad is happening. Some of those laws might not be perfect, but a lot of them are based on people with good intentions doing very bad things.

4 Likes

Never heard those two different meanings compared to one another, worth the price of admission here alone. Stay safe.

Cheers and a toast to “Choice is Yours”, pun intended within this beautiful song and eerily timely lyrics my friend

Getting involved is always fraught with danger for yourself, not only legally but physically. You sure can’t just “come in from the side” with guns blazing based on your immediate interpretation of a situation you know nothing about. That would be a good way for you to end up in jail yourself for a very long time. Should we want to help each other? Absolutely! However, you need to weigh that very carefully against your commitment and responsibility to your family and yourself.

6 Likes