Faux fingernails and firearms

This thread may seem pretty superficial but, it is a tactical one. I recently watched an A.S.P. video (will try to find it again) and one of the officers had faux fingernails. I personally can not do all the things I need to with them, my natural nails are a huge asset. But, I know several people who have absolutely not problems at all (they do not shoot, though)
So, Is it possible to draw and shoot effectively while wearing them?

Note* only KIND hearted yet honest viewpoints are welcomed. This is a legitimate question.

4 Likes

@Dawn @Zee

2 Likes

I took my stepdaughter shooting for the second time and she always has Faux nails and there was no way she could load a mag with them, she had no trouble shooting but I could see problems if I start to stress her
and with drawing. :+1:

4 Likes

@BRUCE26 Stress!! Good job teach!! A lot of people leave out the stress factor in self defense (of any kind)

I can definitely understand them getting in the way.

4 Likes

At one point in my career I did background investigations for potential police officers. One of my candidates, a female, had her real nails curled and I said to her she needed to cut them to get the job because she would be handling a firearm and the nails would impede her ability to do so. She said to me that there was no way she was cutting her nails because it took her a while to get them like that. I had to disqualify her.

8 Likes

@Johnnyq60
Wow! Notice she did not arguing that she could train to have her cake and eat it too. She just refused to comply. I am glad you disqualified her. She did not have the right priorities!

7 Likes

I think it will depend on how you define ‘effectively’.
Can the person consistently draw from concealment and get a first shot on target in a second and a half?
Regardless of the person’s limitations (in this case, self imposed), I think that is a good goal.
My wife mentioned that the newest trend is pointy finger and toe nails, like claws. Truth gets stranger than fiction.

7 Likes

Ain’t that the truth!
Yes, a second and a half is what I would consider it be effective. I was not aware of the toenails being like claws. I wonder how those work with tennis shoes?

5 Likes

Yeah! But did she receive her, suitable for framing, certificate of insubordination? She could have taken point on any no knock warrants, without a weapon. I guess this generation will NEVER understand sacrifice! Her nails were more important than the big picture.

5 Likes

This was back in 1991 and we were putting classes in the Academy every 6 months. It’s bad to get disqualified on a character reference. I believe she probably thought she didn’t have to have a weapon to be a police officer.

6 Likes

Are you talking about longer faux nails or short ones?

I believe the longer nails (in general) inhibit some abilities. For example, I can’t imagine punching with a tightly clenched fist with long nails. Also grabbing and manipulating things (which might be encountered in a SD situation) might be more complicated… of course long hair can be an issue in many circumstances, too.

Although I have no experience with them, I can think of two examples where longer nails (maybe faux, I don’t know) inhibited light duty abilities… First, a family member needed me to put in her hearing aids because she insists on having longer nails, but can’t position the hearing aids in her ears properly with them. Second, many years ago, I went to a McD’s and put the exact change on the counter. The cashier had long fingernails. She spent about 10 seconds scratching at the counter trying to pick them up before I realized I needed to hand her the coins. I wouldn’t have waited so long, but it was kind of mesmerizing watching the attempt…

6 Likes

@Johnnyq60
A police officer with no gun??! So many people would die because of that! It makes me cringe. :worried::worried:

3 Likes

@Scotty
Both short and long. I tried faux fingernails AWHILE back and could not make a good fist. Nor could I do much heavy lifting at work (I enjoy) worst off all it started to make me feel as if I was not very strong. Needless to say I gave it up pretty quick.

4 Likes

I actually have acrylic nails because my natural nails are very weak, break and tear easily. I don’t keep them very long so I’ve never had an issue with them.

The benefit to acrylic nails is that they are stronger (think scratching or gouging) for defense. I don’t know how anyone functions with the super long nails - real or fake.

3 Likes

@Dawn
Thank you for the reply!!

1 Like

Completely agree! It just goes to show we are all different and not one size fits all. I am glad you have something that works for you!

2 Likes