Dogs and Home Protection

I really don’t think it would cause a liability. For me, when I take my dogs off property, I always have extra protection. They always have a harness, a collar, and a mouth lead. I know other people are slightly frightened by large dogs and don’t act appropriately around them which sends up flags for most dogs. When someone asks to come near my dogs, I always tell them no. When I see another dog, I always clear the path so my dog isn’t involved in a possible altercation. Kind of like the training we get here. Know your environment and a fight avoided is always a good fight. These are techniques I learned a long time ago because my dogs are trained for hiking and helping me out in the woods in case I have a medical emergency.

5 Likes

This is how my dog travels off property

7 Likes

This is mine. This is my oldest one when he was about six months old.

8 Likes

Great looking pooch :+1::+1::+1:

5 Likes

Exactly how does the prosecutor cross examine my dog?
How does he prove that I “directed” my sweet loving pooches to attack? My dog was just doing his thing as a dog, the other dumb dog entered wrong house, my dog just happened to rip out his throat. Ooooppps,
I didn’t order my dog to do anything, and if I did, I’m not telling!
Unless I purposely trained my dog to kill. Then I understand deadly instrument.
Let’s take this to the extreme. My 14’ pet anaconda, affectionately known as “Slippy” is allowed to roam freely in my home. While I’m asleep, stupid breaks into my home quietly. “Slippy” silently wraps around “stupids” neck and squeezes him to death. Am I responsible for directing “Slippy” to kill “stupid”? “Slippy” by nature is a man eater (stupid men) and stupid is as stupid does! How am I seriously considered liable when stupid breaks into my castle?

3 Likes

I didn’t say anyone could prove it @Scott52. That is the states burden. @Jennifer14 asked if her dogs could be considered deadly weapons. In Kentucky, they cannot because there is a statutory definition of what is a deadly weapon and dogs are not included in that definition. On the other hand, other things can be used to cause serious injury or death and, in Kentucky, they are considered “dangerous instruments.” A dog can be used as a dangerous instrument but will never be a deadly weapon.

6 Likes

It is unlikely that if you have a posted property, warning of a potential danger and someone went on to your property with that knowledge that you would be held criminally liable.

7 Likes

OK! That works for me, totally. Thank you :pray:
That’s right out of the Art of War.
“If you want to keep the enemy from coming forth, show them the potential harm”.
I understand, not putting up signs that say “we don’t dial 911, etc.

6 Likes

These probably belong in the Meme Dept. But hopefully you get a chuckle out of my new yard signs.

5 Likes

Looking for a Belgian Malinois right now. These dogs are smarter than some of my
great grand children. Train really well in a short period of time - because of their
intelligence they need a lot of attention. Malinois don’t like to lay around the house
and just be a pet. They need to walk, play ball or frisbe everyday for a good hour.
Read up on this breed before getting one please. Mike

7 Likes