Does your firearm have a manual safety?

@Todd30 I am not sure when or where I learned this but I have been shooting this way as long as I have been shooting 1911s. When I draw and point I release the safety and keep my thumb on the safety during the firing process and move my thumb down to reengage the safety and then holster.
This gives me a steadier hold and one less movement when aiming and firing.
I thought everyone did it this was but I watched several vids and saw it wasn’t so. :us:

4 Likes

Yes, I do the same but, with big sausages for fingers my thumb has a tendency to push the safety on. I have come to crossing over my thumbs to hold both my thumb down and to have a tighter grip with arthritis. It has been working.

3 Likes

None of mine have safeties

1 Like

4 Likes

I can see both sides of the debate, but I prefer a thumb safety on any handgun I am carrying . I understand that there is a risk of forgetting to disengage the safety when drawing / firing, but there is also a risk of a negligent discharge when handling or re-holstering. I think that the thumb safety is not a big issue as long as you train enough with it. The risk / consequence of a ND while re-holstering seems worse to me.

3 Likes

Of course my 1911s do, I carried a Glock 26 for years so, (NO) . I had an SAPD issued Glock 26 in the early 2000s so, (NO). I bought a Ruger LC9s for pocket gun so, (yes). I then bought a Walther CCP when I decided to switch to a single stack so, (YES). I bought the Ruger American Pro9mm for a home defense pistol so, (NO). I got my wife a S&W Bodyguard w/built in green laser, so (no). I recently got a Canik TP9sf so, (NO)
I personally do not like a manual safety on any service/duty pistol because it’s holstered & geared toward Military/Police use,
I like the manual safety on my Ruger LC9s because it’s in a pocket holster & easier to inadvertently grab the trigger
I do not like the manual safety in my Walther CCP so I disengage it when I holster it
The S&W Bodyguard has a very rigid trigger pull so it’s not as much of an issue as the Ruger LC9s
BOTTOM LINE IS THIS;
POCKET GUNS - YES
Service/duty pistols- NO
Holstered EDC pistols - NO

2 Likes

That is very good insight, and reinforces my decision to have a thumb safety on my EC9S, which I pocket carry. I also have a S&W M&P 9 Compact with a thumb safety, which I bought to concealed carry, probably AIWB. I like the extra layer of the manual safety when reholstering. Probably not a big deal for EDC, but a bigger factor while training ( where there are more opportunities for accidents) I know that disengaging the safety is an extra step, but IMHO training can mitigate that. Thoughts?

1 Like

@Patrick151 , I agree with you in 100% ! Manual safety is a personal preference but it’s always better to avoid than be sorry later. Turning safety off can be trained, but accident prediction is very hard.

2 Likes

I have both types of firearms. For non-Glock striker fired firearms such as my Sig M17 and M18, I like having a manual safety, since it adds an extra layer of safety when re-holstering. My Glocks all have a Striker Control Device, which serves much the same purpose as thumbing the hammer of a DA pistol when re-holstering. My DA/SA firearms typically don’t have a manual safety.

4 Likes

THE ONLY MANUAL SAFETYS I HAVE ARE ON MY WALTHER CCP & MY RUGER LC9S. OF COURSE MY 1911S HAVE ONE BUT IT DOESNT MATTER TO ME IF A MANUAL SAFETY IS INSTALLED, I TAKE IT OFF WHEN I HOLSTER IT. :sunglasses:

2 Likes