Does barrel length make that much of a difference in a carry gun?

Just a little extra food for thought, in general the shorter the barrel the louder the gun will be and, more recoil you will feel. There are other factors to consider such as weight when it comes to perceived recoil. As for a 1911 barrel length, from my personal experience I would choose a 5" over a 4" or, less any day of the week but, keep in mind that my uses for a 1911 would be strictly range and/or home defense so, if you’re looking at one for carry your mileage will vary.

4 Likes

A snub nosed .357 loses energy, quite a bit, but I trust one in .357. The one that doesn’t make sense is .38spc in a snubby. That’s where you see 12-14 inch gel penetration and the bullet not expanding with most ammo brands.

3 Likes

Howdy, I have found that most guns with double stack are usually just fatter not necessarily longer. Bro Edward

2 Likes

I prefer a shorter barrel because I carry OWB and the more barrel length it has the more it tends to stick out below my shirt and jacket. I know most people prefer IWB but I’ve yet to come to terms with that level of butt pain taking on and off a holster combined with having to buy jeans a size too big. I’m fat enough for God sake, do we really have to rub it in. As far as the difference in accuracy with a one inch difference in sight radius I personally couldn’t see it being that big but I’m sure someone’s done some kind of study.

4 Likes

I carry owb and wear long shirts. My edc is sig p320c in 9mm and 45acp in carry. I like the slightly longer barrel. I am a big guy 6ft 6, 300 pds so i conceal well enough with my firearm canted 3 to 4 o clock position and can drive with it on my side comfortably. On occasion i carry iwb but often.

3 Likes

Have you signed up for the Sasquatch club yet? I think @Nathan, @45IPAC and @Spence are the key members :wink:

3 Likes

We play hide and seek with the campers, with our all natural, 100% organic Gilley Suits.

4 Likes

I haven’t bought any pants that are a size too big. Then again my pants, especially my cargo pants, are a little big (I have a thin waist so my belt is always a little loose) so I don’t find that the gun stretches out my waistband a whole lot. Plus a size bigger on me would be a pain. I’d rather have pants a little loose but still fit than get one a little big. But maybe one day I’ll try that and see how it goes. :thinking:

1 Like

I carry AIW so barrel length matters! The biggest I carry is my Shield with a 4 inch.

3 Likes

I didn’t think you could comfortably carry a 4" barrel appendix. :thinking: I might have to try this. I always figured you had to have a 3" barrel or smaller for AIW

2 Likes

@luke_ouellette it’s possible. I do. I carry my full sized firearms crossdraw AIWB, with a strong cant so the barrel is pointed down/left and the butt of the grip is under my belt. (this works in my carry corset nicely, and I"m having a couple of holsters made to duplicate the cant for kydex AIWB.) It helps that I have a high waist relatively speaking.

2 Likes

I’m sure it does. I’m curious to see if I can make it work and comfortable. All my handguns are 4" barrels right now so I’ve been carrying 4 o’clock and just behind 3. :thinking: But to be able to carry appendix… That would be nice…

2 Likes