Do you have enough ammo?

From the article: “… while we feel that the possibility of wide-scale social or economic breakdown is remote…”. :flushed::grimacing:… think again.

2 Likes

@Zee LOL. As soon as I read your post internally I said “yaassssssss”.

I have a friend who shoots a revolver. We were talking once about how much gets used in a range outing (indoor, 1 hr usually). I said I can easily go over 150 and he almost fainted. He barely goes through 1 box!

My ratio is about 80/20 range to defense ammo. I feel I have “enough” for anything that might reasonably happen. Barring a zombie apocalypse, alien invasion, asteroid strike, etc I just focus on having enough to train (or have fun) regularly, survive any panic pricing or shortages, and now in this political environment to bridge any bans.

5 Likes

So with this whole stay at home thing I’ve finally had some time to clean and re-organize things and in the process did a little inventory. I’m better than I thought in a few calibers/applications, grossly under stocked in more than one venue most of which I have the components for but just need to sit down and make them. Others like 12Ga I just need to go buy. I am in need of minimum bunker levels for some of my “exotic” stuff just so I can use them if the need/desire arose such as 6.5 & 7.7 Jap, 303 Brit, 8mm Mauser and 30-40 Krag. I should be good for the fist wave or two of the Zombie hoards. :sunglasses:

Just because it’s for target doesn’t mean it’s not SD ammo :innocent:

Cheers,

Craig6

7 Likes

@Dawn

95%/5% :see_no_evil::speak_no_evil::hear_no_evil: :eyes::innocent:

2 Likes

I don’t really think you can every have enough. Of course you should always make sure you have an adequate amount in all of the calibers in your arsenal of firearms. However, I am also a believer (not trying to sound like a nut job here) in that you should have an adequate supply in the more or more so popular calibers that may not be in your arsenal. Because in the event of a total societal collapse (let’s hope that it never comes to that) ammunition (among other items) can be a very powerful bartering currency for resources that you require. Just saying.

7 Likes

My thinking exactly. ALL ammo is self defense ammo. Our fancy hollow point, bonded tip, super expansion, terminal performance ammo is for ordinary times when we’re being very careful with every round we send and seriously need to limit unintentional collateral damage. In a true SHTF, EOTWAWKI, EMFH scenario might just become a secondary concern and I’m not going to worry overmuch about HP vs FMJ. My main concern will be hitting my intended target quickly with whatever I have to hand.

9 Likes

If we ever hit Mad Max territory, ATFF will be the new currency. (Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Food)

8 Likes

@David38 I might reserve trading food to the things that I don’t like to eat. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

I would say 30% target and 70% defensive ammo. Of course as stated it’s all defensive. :wink:

4 Likes

Of course! I’ll trade you all the liver and eggplant you can handle.

6 Likes

I don’t mind eggplant but you can keep the liver.

3 Likes

I would not mind a basic supply of 1000rd per firearm (not per caliber) for permanent stock.

Not there yet and wont be for awhile bit it’s a goal.

3 Likes

Beau Bennet has spoken…I will also quote his reply!!!

2 Likes

@Lacy

It’s funny you mention that. One of my last runs was to buy enough top shelf Liquor to restock my wet bar. I got it for that very reason.

5 Likes

Ammo is great to have.
I have gone to stocking X x1000s in primers, shells, and lbs and lbs of powder.
It’s like the difference between having the fridge in the house stocked vs. the extra fridge and chest freezer in the basement filled as well.

6 Likes

For myself, about 10% of my ammo is self-defense.

3 Likes

I think a bigger issue for me is firepower. With 3 pistols and a well-stocked ammo supply, I can take care of close-in business. But if things go south on a large scale, I’m definitely outgunned.

4 Likes

I try to buy as much ammo as my bank account will allow and I always wait for free shipping. I did stock up more on ammo than I did toilet paper at the beginning of February. So now I fear I’ll have to trade brass for Charmin!
As far as defense ammunition, unfortunately I was not ready for the Chinese to attack so soon, so right now only 10% is actual defensive ammo, however all I have will do the job when the zombies appear.
I predict when food runs out that’s when the zombies will be out in force.:zombie:‍♂

3 Likes

Once you take down your first zombie, don’t do like the movies, grab the AK and all the ammo, repeat as necessary.

7 Likes

The really good news is the Government is about to send you a check as a down payment on ammo or a long range rifle. Just remember, never let a Federal check go to waste!

8 Likes