Did you NOT buy a gun for Home Defense

and spend your $$ on training and ammo instead?

Say you’ve got a hand me down war souvenir Beretta, Walther, Webely or Browning? Maybe an old riot shotgun or an Uncle’s ex police service revolver (all in safe working order of course!)

All are viable firearms as capable for HD/SD now as then, however I was wondering if they are still appreciated and utilized for their intended purpose?

1 Like

Hi @John292 (I edited your topic title a bit for ease of understanding, hope you don’t mind).

It depends on the firearm - is it a WWI firearm that hasn’t been shot since WWI? Then I wouldn’t say it’s a great idea for home defense. I would definitely make sure the firearm works, you train with it, and you use the appropriate ammo for a home defense situation.

Does that help?

2 Likes

I’m think any passed down old firearm would need to get a clean bill of health from a qualified gunsmith before being fired for the first time in a long time, but there are other family relics that have been fired off and on over the course of time and likely pressed into HD roles due to economic or perhaps sentimental reasons, or even familiarity—if you were very accurate with a 'Nam era S&W M15 and you have confidence in you ability with it, maybe that’s a good enough reason—or is it?
If you already have Uncle Waldo’s Stevens 311, should scrapping it for a new Remington Express be be all that high on your list of priorities for HD?
I’m just curious as to people’s thoughts on the matter.

4 Likes

I have an old Springfield Model 67H Pump Shotgun made by Savage Arms in im guessing 1950s.
It is all steel construction with Flushing Grouse on each side of the receiver, it had a 28in. barrel until someone fired steel shot out of the full choke barrel and then to add insult to injury cut 8in. off with a hacksaw. Stupid is as stupid does. :roll_eyes:
I took a pipe cutter and trimmed it off at 18in. and replaced a spring on the locking claw, took it apart and cleaned it, put some Tung oil on the wood, tighten everything up, I put a Day glow green clamp on front sight and I have a good shooter. I have fired 100rnds. of Buck and Slug with no problems. I got it for nothing and fixed it, now it sits in my closet with a light on it and protects me and mine. :grin:

1 Like

I believe that every firearm has a purpose. Even a muzzleloader, but sometimes the purpose just fills a small niche. A double barrel shotgun could be used for HD, but fills a better role hunting grouse on a logging road. A Beretta 1301 with an 18 inch barrel and an extended tube probably isn’t the best for a duck blind, but is great for HD.

Basically I try to lean more towards technological advances with firearms when relying on personal defense, and I try not to make new uses for things that are better off being valued for their rightful place in providing my family with food or just being admired.

@John292 what do you think?

2 Likes

That comes with a big box of Depends…

I know people that can run an SA revolver like nobody’s business. Even one that uses it for CCW. Is it the best tool? I don’t believe so, however, if you know how to use it perhaps it could be. Or that old shotgun. Heck even a Garand could be used (makes a great club!).

For quite a few years my only pistol was a hand me down through the family 1911 made in 1911… Was it pretty, no. I shot it quite a bit, and it did work great (retired now for me). Was not fancy, small sights, 7 rounds. I also have a hand me down Colt’s 38 that is in fine working order. Get some ammo and it would work in a pinch. Would it be good for a big home invasion… not really. That is what the Garand is for :wink:

1 Like

That’s my thought process on buying a gun. I am not rich. So I can’t afford all the toys. So I have a list in my head. When I’m looking at a new gun I am asking myself, do I want this because I want a new gun or does this fill a need.

If it doesn’t fill a need I don’t buy it. I really only have 2 needs left. 1 isn’t exactly I need, but would be a nice to have so I know which one fills a need.

YMMV

2 Likes

@MarkinMT Don’t forget the bayonet on that M1. “Bullets first then the Bayonet.” :wink:

3 Likes

I have carried since I was 18 years old. Now in my 60’s, the importance of conceal carry is even more important because of the world we live in. I will protect my family, church, and myself in the event of a threat. Using my weapon is the last thing I want to do, but if the situation necessitates, I will.

2 Likes

Ouch. That just hurts my soul.

1 Like