Deodorant/Antiperspirant Spray post-range (men's and womens) recommendations

In the event a shooter is not able to immediately shower-clean after use of ammunition, what deodorants and antiperspirants sprays would you use as an alternative to removing removing a residue?

I would think deodorants and sprays would seal in residue. FWIW, I use lead free wipes on ,my hands and occasionally face after a session.

4 Likes

A bottle of water and some foamy pump soap (or whatever soap) on your hands and arms. If indoors consider wearing an outer shirt like a sweatshirt or flannel and taking it off after.

3 Likes

What I did as a teenager, to hide the smell of me drinking, I’d go to the gas station and spill a little bit of pump gas on my hands or shirt sleeve.

I think after a while my dad thought that whenever I smelled like gasoline I had been drinking.

1 Like

Suggest you bathe in sauerkraut juice before visiting the range.

2 Likes

I don’t understand the original question. Is there a body odor from shooting in the heat or are you trying to remove the miniscule amount of lead from yourself?

5 Likes

Most indoor ranges I’ve been at have a wash station, in case of an eye injury. Though I was the only person who has ever been washing hands after shooting. I did see a guy shooting in a surgical mask (pre-covid).

2 Likes

“No” on the deodorant - won’t remove anything. Best options are 1) a few D-Lead wipes in a ziploc or 2) a mixed solution of D-Lead soap and water in a 2 oz. squeeze bottle (with a top that won’t leak) plus some some disposable wet wipes or a few paper towels.

3 Likes

Not really too worried about the smell of gunpowder, but I have my own small bottle of d-lead soap in my range bag so I can wash hands after a session.

2 Likes

The OP seems to be confusing… My guess is he/she asked how to get rid of residue after range visit. :thinking:

Simple cold water then soap does the job.
Most ranges supply their washrooms with D-Lead soap which removes lead from hands.
I personally keep a box of lead removing cleaning paper towels and use them followed by cold water, D-Lead soap and regular soap.
Outside garments go to washing machine once I back home.

2 Likes

Gotcha. I’m usually ready for a bio-break after I finish and just wash then before heading to BBQ!

3 Likes

The indoor range we go to uses D-Lead. We also use it at mines that have lead in their ore.

1 Like

Yeah i’m not sure how deodorant and antiperspirant factor in here, but if the range doesn’t have a sink with soap, then keep some of those lead wipes in your range bag or car to clean off exposed skin (usually face and hands/arms).

If you’re really concerned about it have a top layer of clothing you can remove or a change of clothes until you get home.

1 Like

Just a dab of Hoppes #9 behind each ear does the trick.

6 Likes

I just lick my fingers clean. What’s good enough for Colonel Sanders… :laughing:

4 Likes

Are the bulk of us going to die from this? I just wash my hands.

2 Likes

I just use it because I don’t want to smell like I came from a fresh crime scene :wink::joy:. Plus I like the way it smells.

Try shooting on Saturday since that’s bath day anyway! :joy::joy:

3 Likes

I keep a container of hand wipes in my bag. They seem to get the lead out just fine

The principles of de-escalations and disengagement can be applied here just as much as in real life situations

2 Likes