Denied UPIN based on an ARREST from 2014

Michigan- So I used to have a Domestic Assault and a few Driving On Suspendeds, all from 2004 or before. Tried to get them expunged once, failed, then Whitmer signed the Clean Slate into law, so I was finally able to expunge everything August of last year and have a clean record for the first time in 19 years! Purchased my first gun September of last year and a few others since. After a few months of range time, training and practice I filed for my CPL end of January, and received it February 23rd.
As a celebration I went in to buy a Glock from Sportsmans and got delayed like always. The last couple times it only took 2 to 4 days. This time its been 2½ weeks and still in delayed status. After the first 7 days I got fed up and filed for a UPIN so I didn’t have to worry about it anymore. Just got an email stating I was denied for having prohibitive information on my record and gives the police department I need to contact, the arrest case number, and the date of arrest. The problem is that its just THAT, an ARREST! There were never any charges brought up, I was never arraigned, charged, processed or anything! I was dumb and had loose pills from a valid script in my pocket and by the time I got to the jail, my wife brought up my prescription and proved everything was valid and the pills in my pocket matched my script and I had the proper amount left for the remainder of the month. After 2 years it was brought up when I tried to be a chaperone at my kids school, I got a letter from the lead detective, sent it into Michigan State Police, and they removed it but I guess that was just on the state level? How do I get it removed from the federal level? The local police department its through said they have no way to do anything with the FBI and I cant ever get a live person at the FBI to figure out what I can do? Do I really need to hire a damn lawyer and fork out $2000 to get an arrest wiped from my record? What happened to “Innocent until proven guilty?”

4 Likes

Welcome to the community

I strongly suspect the answer to your question is yes. Probably not what you want to hear but seems to be the way these things often go. Interesting that you’re getting a long delay this time but not on the earlier purchases. I don’t know if the length of delay is up to the individual who looks at the paperwork or maybe the availability of staff to look into it??

5 Likes

Ya I kinda ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ bullshit that we always gave to prove innocence instead of them proving guilt…

2 Likes

Simply, yes you do. Is it worth the aggravation of having to do it yourself AND worrying about whether you missed something and messed it up.

3 Likes

@James1331
Welcome to the family brother and I am sorry you are going through this. Glad to have you on board with us.

3 Likes

So an update: I found the old letter from the arresting police department stating they were never going to pursue charges and that I was never charged and uploaded it to the VAF file where you upload the fingerprints. The next day they approved it! :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face: Went in and attempted to buy a gun with the UPIN and still got denied…I’m still attempting to get the arrest completely removed from the FBI/ATF database but no one seems to know how to do it!

4 Likes