Denied by Employer to Serve as Church Security Team Member

I’m an employed by the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) and have been advised by the BOP that I cannot serve as an armed member of our church’s armed security team because it is considered a conflict.
The response I got from the BOP is as follows: “An employee may not engage in any outside employment/activity that conflicts with his/her official duties, or any outside employment/activity that involves criminal matters or the potential for criminal matters rather it be Federal, state or local. Therefore this request is denied.”
I’m going to appeal it, just wondering if anyone else has gone through this.

7 Likes

Hmmm, interesting dilemma. As far as that situation what you do on your time is your own business. My opinion. But welcome to the community. Stay safe my friend

8 Likes

In the past, I have had employers tell me I can’t do any paid work for anyone else that is substantially similar to the work that employer does for customers. I think that’s a fair request.

However, I would think that an employer has absolutely no say in what I do as a volunteer. There is no conflict there.

15 Likes

@P525 Welcome to the community! And, ouch! That sucks. I can kind of see their point, but at church?

3 Likes

It was a common thing when I was employed by the NYPD. They didn’t allow any type of employment even volunteer work where you had to carry your firearm. Of course I am now retired and I am an armed security officer as a member of my church. I’m not sure if all LE agencies are the same but some really don’t allow it.

3 Likes

So the weapon was the issue? Were you made to carry off duty? I understand being a bouncer or working for Benny the Book but a church.

2 Likes

Here is a strong argument, @P525 ! You should consider using it…

“The denial is a direct contravention against the first amendment!”

In my humble opinion, I think by them denying you this opportunity to “serve” at your ‘church’ is also denying you of religious liberty.

5 Likes

I did not have to carry off duty but I did anyway.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s my take on it as well.

2 Likes

Yeah sounds like they’re using a lot of words to deny me one of my rights because they don’t want to be involved in a lawsuit.

2 Likes

Was also wondering if police force has some kind of liable issue with it. (Side job thing)

3 Likes

OldGnome I would completely understand their point if I was in my work uniform and identified myself as working in that capacity at church. This is strictly a voluntary role I’d assume while at services with my wife/kids. Crazy.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family! @P525 glad you’re here. I ran into a similar situation in CO trying to work church security and being an armed guard for a dispensary.

3 Likes

David-65 their issue is that I would be performing the same type of duties I engage in on the job. I may be overthinking it but it seems like I’m being asked to choose between personal/family safety or job security.

4 Likes

Thank you sir.

3 Likes

My 2 cents: They don’t want a conflict if you work security, and then for whatever reason you put someone in jail. Then they end up in the prison you work at

4 Likes

@P525,

They know. and I mean ‘know’ they are asking for a fight.

HOWEVER, I will bring an issue that certainly is at the forefront of your mind and that being… termination.

Although I know my faith in Jesus Christ and his callings are greater than any job title behind my name… Don’t lose your job without having a back-up plan. Reason it’s even mentioned is because that’s the first thing they will do. I would suggest talking to a lawyer if this desire to serve God on the ministry security team is burning inside of you.

5 Likes

While you litigate the “system” I would continue to carry in church but ensure that you have a letter from the church that says as of this date you are no longer a member of the recognized church security team although the church has no issue with you excersing your 2A rights at service, functions and fellowship. I get why the FBP says what they do but I would also ask them where in the policy manual it says that or does it fall into that “All other included offenses” thing?

Cheers,

Craig6

OH edit to add: Cheap ($0.55) bit of advice. Take the original copy of the letter with the INK Signature on it , make copies and then MAIL the original to yourself. Put it in a safe deposit box or other similar place when you get it back. In the old days we called that a “Get out of Jail Free Card” or a “Poor man’s patent” as the post mark is federally recognized as official dating.

9 Likes

Not sure how it is a conflict, unless they consider that whoever you might encounter at the church that commits a crime and you are involved with stopping them, they MIGHT end up in the prison you work at.

That might be somehow a conflict, though I think it would qualify more as a situation that might cause conflict in the prison.

3 Likes

You are not monitoring prison population at the church, nor are you ‘working’ for pay (are you?)

3 Likes