Convience Store Robbery - Hypothetical Sceanario

*Note for everyone

I did not post the 4 rules as a deterrent for everyone to not protect your loved ones or the people around you, I posted them so people knew them, and to get people to apply the thought to other scenarios they have.

5 Likes

And many thanks for your posting them James. I wasnā€™t deterred.

3 Likes

The old one warning shot to the head trick. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

While I hope that this would indeed be the case, this is not that situation. This is an armed robbery.
From what Iā€™ve foundā€“this has about a 30% of this ending in violence. https://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6558&context=jclc
While by itā€™s nature a mass shooting involves violence, 30% chance of violence in a robbery is higher a likelihood than I expected. Does knowing this change anyoneā€™s decision?

3 Likes

I totally agree with you.my wife works at a tobacco store and has been robbed twice in as many months.unfortunatly I wasnā€™t there,had I been it would have been game on.i will protect my family and myself at all cost

3 Likes

@Aaron25

No, not my circus, not my :clown_face:. IF he is acting rational and only there for the stuff.

If his demeanor is such, or his actions are such that I can articulate to a prosecutor and a jury that I was in fear of death or great bodily harm for my self or others and there were simply no other options. Then he has made it my circus, and he has made it my :clown_face:.

Then I will make decisions based off of that new information.

@Robert5

Am I envious of the guy in the Concealed Carry Magazine that stopped the kidnapping. No, I am not. Am I glad he was there. Yes I am.

3 Likes

I fail to see an armed robber as acting in a rational manner. I fail to see the act of pointing a gun at someone as being a rational action, unless it is done in defense.

4 Likes

@Stan

At no point in the scenario, as described, does it say he pointed the gun at anybody. It says

Now we can what if this all over the place. But I am answering the original scenario as it was presented.

If I involved myself, first and foremost I have to make sure my round doesnā€™t hit the clerk, I am going to check to see if he has an accomplice. I also need to be pretty sure I am going to be able to make a one shot neurological stop or risk the robber shooting the clerk.

Then the worst what if of all. What if the clerk has a gun and decides to take his chances. You really think him seeing 2 guys with guns isnā€™t going to make him take a shot or 4 at you.

2 Likes

I took this as pointing the gun at the cashier.
And your worst what ifā€“yeah, I thought about that as well, but Iā€™d bet the bad guy would shoot him deadā€“hard to win a draw on a drawn weapon.
Here we areā€“a bunch of armchair quarterbacks spending days on something that would have been over in seconds. If this doesnā€™t highlight the need to think these things through ahead of time and train, train, train.

4 Likes

I actually went to the range and was working from draw to headshot at 21 feet. I got to under just 2 seconds.

As I have mentioned I am not going to sit idly by and watch someone get murdered.

But think about it for a second. You are basically talking about shooting a man in the back of the head. No warning just pop.

In almost every single ā€œAsk an Attorneyā€ webinar, Tom Grieve, and Kevin talk about prosecutorial discretion. I feel pretty confident that you executing someone is going to raise some interest.

What I have attached below is an extensive study specifically on convenience store robberies and the micro level behaviors that influence the outcomes. It shows that guns are used in only about 42% of Convenience store robberies, and are rarely fired. That what most often leads to violence is deviation from normative behavioral patterns of a robbery.

0022427817715754.pdf (230.4 KB)

3 Likes

@Aaron25
The ā€œJust for debates sakeā€ covered more than one post or conversation. The first half was earlier when the statement was made that indicated leaving the clerk to their fate was the preferred method or solution for the hypothetical we have been discussing. Not the exact words but the caution against taking an active part in trying to protect the clerk we were supposed to imagine.
My comment was made to question if we are advised to leave and report a robbery that quite likely, or at least very possibly, will end in the death of that imaginary clerk would the advice be any different if we were in a group of people we didnā€™t even know and a shooter came in like the Walmart shooter? In other words what difference would more armed people make if they all left and reported the event? Hypothetically?

I think the positions of the debate have been stated and some people will flee and some will stand and fight. The second group seems to be more likely to have to deal with the legal system than the first. I also realize you would have to modify your conversation suggested by your USCCA Post incident instructions. So after calling 911 and making a minimal explanation I would call USCCA and only answer questions directed to me with my Lawyer in attendance. I have pretty much realized this from the first day I applied for my License to carry.

By the way because it is a hypothetical exercise I am not judging who is right or wrong. Stand and fight or flee is a personal choice.

3 Likes

I agree! Marksmanship, even at close distances matters. I would hope the shot within arms reach would be adequately accurate.

1 Like

@Robert5

Now, I have been following this thread. I guess I am reading it differently than you. I, personally, have not once said I would run or stand by and watch someone get murdered. I have said I would want to make sure I was in the right.

1 Like

To be clear @Zavier_D I never mentioned what you said, I was just clarifying my response to an earlier post by someone else. " No matter what state you are in it is better to run away IF POSSIBLE than it is to shoot another person. Remember, it is more about what a prosecutor can get a jury to believe than what actually occurred."
The debate part was about if that advice covers the hypothetical we were talking about or even shootings like what took place in El Paso.

Let me be clear one more time. It is a hypothetical exercise. I donā€™t know that one answer is better that the other I just question it because of the conversations we as a group are faced with when talking about why we carry. I agree the decision is not to be taken in a cavalier manner, and I am not saying anyone that wants to consider the aftermath of such a decision is wrong. I am also not saying that stand and fight is the best answer. I am asking if the stated default position adds to or detracts from many of our statements that there would be fewer shootings like the Walmart incident if there were more armed citizens? If they were trained in the default position would the result be any different than if no one was armed?

I didnā€™t post it to question the default position but only to Imagine standing before a community meeting and explaining our contention that more armed citizens would make us safer if the default position was to leave and report?

This conversation more than likely needs to take place face to face over some coffee and pie.

2 Likes

I agree with the best fight is the one you are never in.

In the study I linked, it linked micro level behaviors that would set the stage for violence. Many of the behaviors listed here would set off a cascade of events that would lead to violence.

I enjoy these types of scenario debates, because as has been said many times here. The body canā€™t go where the mind has never been.

3 Likes

That is very true!!

1 Like

GREAT points in your posts. And BTW, great shooting with the headshot drill.
Better to sweat in training than to bleed in combat.

2 Likes

You know, we had a thread about shooting to music. I did that yesterday and Friday.

The results were pretty amazing both days. I definitely shot faster and I felt more accurately. But my energy levels at the end were much higher.

2 Likes

What were you listening to?

2 Likes

System of a Down, Breaking Benjamin, mostly. When I am doing stuff like that I like to keep the beat count at 100 or higher with 120 beats per minute being ideal.

2 Likes