Conversation points for kids and firearms

Age-appropriate firearm education for kids is so very important! Here’s a list of 25 things you can teach your kids about firearms.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/25-things-parents-can-teach-their-kids-about-guns/

Which of those things would you start with and at what age?

1 Like

The great granddaughter is 5, so were working with

• Dont touch, Get an adult
  • Dont jump on/hug the adults when they’re handling/cleaning a gun
  • Guns are normal
  • Safety equipment around guns

She sees me and Gramps carry, and she sees both of us and her mom shoot, and shes been to the gun shows with us so I think we’ve got the normal thing handled.
She’s got her own (pink) eyes and ears to wear when we shoot so we’ve got a start on safety equipment.
Well start the 4 safety rules as part of her general awareness soon. She hasn’t shown any interest in shooting yet, but when that comes we’ll start on the 4 safety rules in earnest and look at a BB gun for her.

1 Like

My daughter is 7 and my son is 4. Both are very aware of the safety rules for guns. We openly talk about the rules very often. They love to shoot B.B. guns at targets. My daughter will be getting a .22 cricket in a few months. She is so excited about it. I was cleaning a handgun this evening and she wanted to help. Then she said when she gets her gun she will be doing most of the cleaning on it, but I can help. :grinning::smiley:

3 Likes

Julie Golob has a great children’s books (and I have two signed copies) titled Toys, Tools, Guns & Rules: A Children’s Book About Gun Safety

1 Like

@BJP I’ve got a kindle copy of that, been meaning to get a hard copy, thank you for the reminder. And welcome to the group!

Awesome, @BJP! I’ll have to check that one out!

1 Like