Conceal carry to a highschool graduation?

I have a california ccw license, am i legally able to conceal carry to a high school graduation that is NOT being held on a campus or school building ?
The school has rented out a public amphitheater.

2 Likes

@Paul483 could be a slippery slope. I strongly suggest contacting the school and ask if it is permitted. The venue they are renting may not have an issue, but once the amphitheater is rented, the school would be considered the resident for the function, therefore I would feel the school administrators would have final say.

My Son and several of his friends are graduating this week and the school had done the same thing your area school has done. They rented the local civic auditorium, and they put out the word no weapons of any sort would be allowed to the point of having metal detectors at all the doors and law enforcement watching the crowd. There has already been an outcry from those with licenses saying it is a violation of their rights. Not my rights because I do not have a license yet. The school stands on no weapons being allowed in because it is a school function. So, no weapons.

There is another thread here about a man in Maryland carrying a weapon “near” a school bus stop. While legal in his area, it has been shown to be a bad example of trying to do the right thing.

4 Likes

Off the top of my head
If they have metal detectors, no.

7 Likes

If you’re required to have a license, then it isn’t a right. It’s only a privilege. Sounds like your state simply doesn’t like plebians having the same rights that they enjoy.

5 Likes

I feel the same as you do Quade5. I live in Texas. We have open carry but can only do so in “public” with restrictions. Most of the stores around Texas have 30.06 and/or 30.07 signs displayed which further restrict carrying inside their establishments. For example, our big local grocery store chain is HEB. I cannot carry my sidearm or a longarm inside their stores, but I can openly carry while I use their gas pumps to fill up my truck because I am outside in a parking lot.

Getting back to the subject at hand, it is the school’s call. Our local high school has said no because it is a school function. That may or may not be the same case for Paul483.

3 Likes

Me, I wouldn’t ask the school anything about taking a gun anywhere. Not that radar I’m looking to be on. Personal opinion

12 Likes

A simple reading of the California code indicates that the auditorium they rented is not covered by the law forbidding guns in a school zone:

(4) “School zone” means an area in, or on the grounds of, a public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or grades 1 to 12, inclusive, or within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of the public or private school. [Penal Code 626.9 (e) (4)]

However, you must also check on the status at the auditorium, as well as the possibility of dealing with LEOs who are more anti-gun than the law might have established.

As suggested above, if they are using metal detectors, oh, well.

In the meantime, enjoy the celebrations.

5 Likes

@Nathan57, I am already on the school’s radar. Many years ago, the same Son who is graduating snuck a 12-gauge shell into his pocket after a day at the range. That shell made it into his school backpack and stayed there for several weeks until he was looking around in his back for something, found the shell, and put it into his pocket. It stayed in his pocket all day until he got onto the bus and showed it to a friend. Another kid looking on yelled out “HE GOT A GUN!!”

S**T STORM ensues with the school.

Needless to say, the school knows me, and they know I am an armed citizen. I have had chats with school resource officers who were adamant about it being against the law to carry my weapon in my vehicle while on school property. Texas provides I can have it with me in the vehicle and can even leave it in the vehicle, vehicle locked, if I need to go into a school building. They get a little pushed out of shape when I produce The Texas Penal Code which says I can.

I have one more Son still in the school system here and he has 5 years to go.

I will be SOOOO happy when he graduates so I do not have to put up with those idiots ever again.

4 Likes

In my state, a 30.06 sign on a store means I can buy ammo for my Garand.

6 Likes

Per

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=626.9.&lawCode=PEN

“(4) “School zone” means an area in, or on the grounds of, a public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or grades 1 to 12, inclusive, or within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of the public or private school.”

2 Likes

You definitely want to ask a Lawyer versed on the matter. It may be that because the “school” rented it for its activities, in that space and time, whatever laws apply to schools proper may also apply to remote gatherings. Be diligent in being responsible; find out before you do anything that might have unfortunate consequences. Stay safe.

3 Likes

I would read the pertaining law then look for any indications of the Auditorium having any property or legal rules being an issue. Then I’d make a private judgement call and keep it to myself either way.

5 Likes

Well, to begin with (and I am by no means advocating doing anything unlawful), concealed means just that, concealed. “You don’t know and I ain’t tellin.” Now, with that, should one opt to do so, then vigilance ought to be a close friend. That’s all I’m say’n.

3 Likes

I’ve found in situations like this one, the less folks you consult and not broadcasting your intentions, to be the best path.

7 Likes

Always! That even include these boards.

3 Likes

Another good point.

If you’re in Alameda County, for example :man_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

So just a late update . The venue was a concert venue and treated it as such . Full metal detectors and wands . Also didnt allow camera bags … it was stupid. And tge attending staff was horrible …but none the less it stayed locked in the car

3 Likes