Comp trigger on a EDC Gun

Local gun smith sold me on the idea of a comp trigger kit on my EDC gun. I took it to the range and LOVED it but am now thinking it was a terrible & dangerous choice. Note: my accuracy was very much improved with the new trigger.

The two things that worry me are:
A) I have never had a ND with any trigger but in the stress of a self defense situation things happen.
B) In court after a shooting - a sub 3lb comp trigger is not a good look.

Comments?

2 Likes

Can you quantify your accuracy (distance, target size, time) with old and new triggers?

IMO a sub 3 lb competition trigger is a poor choice for a defensive pistol, both practically and legally

3 Likes

Not really sure the right way to quantify.

Something like…

With the old trigger I was mostly within a 6" circle at 7 yrds.
With new trigger ( and grip*) I am easily inside a 3" +/-

I for got to mention that I added a new grip at the same time as the trigger and was shocked at how much difference it made also.

I am not a competition shooter so no “time”

3 Likes

IMO, time is a necessary component to judging self defense capability of shooter/firearm.

Not knowing time and trying to decide how well a shoot shoots for you/you shoot, is like going to the gym and deciding how strong you are but you have no idea what the things you are using weigh, and when you go to a different gym the rubber bumper plates on the bar when walk up to it look better than the rubber plates at the other gym so you are like hey they look bigger they must weigh more

3 Likes

IMHO any modification from a “stock” firearm MUST improve function, reliability and not impede any safety function. That said I carry stock and modified guns equally without worry. As @John1348 notes, his accuracy improved following the modification. Therefore that mod improved the functionality and effectiveness of the firearm, no harm no foul. I carried a HIGHLY modified 1911 for decades, mods done by me, I can now buy one very similar to mine off the shelf. So define what is “stock”?

Cheers,

Craig6

7 Likes

It is just a matter of changing one spring to get back to a “duty” trigger pull? Is that right? M&P Shield (original version - California )

2 Likes

Agreed. Knowing capability as well as a stress factor if you’re trying to get a certain number of shots, accurately placed in a specific target zone, within so many seconds (or fractions thereof). It wasn’t until I added time pressure and started setting time goals that I realized how many things I needed to improve.

3 Likes

I only carry stock triggers for my EDC. It’s just one more thing a prosecuting attorney can grab a hold of and make you explain. It may not be a problem by the letter of the law but ultimately it will be one of jury thinks. If I can get on target quickly and keeping all around center Mass out to 10 yards plus then I’m accurate enough for me.

6 Likes

This is why I carry a 1911. No trigger mods needed. It goes straight back, rather than pivoting around a pin, breaks like glass, and resets very clean, all in such a short travel distance. It’s impossible to make it better.

7 Likes

Yeah, they have good triggers. All the talk of multiple attackers and what not these days though, that capacity thing is a factor

3 Likes

The consensus seems to clearly be that such modifications will only be used against you. The fewer modifications you can make the better. Beyond sights and grips and ammunition that is of good reputation and functions well, a modification that makes your deadly defense tool “more deadly” (beyond normal reason and need is the inference) is sure to be used against you.

I once had a gun with a competition trigger, it DID make the gun more accurate, especially at the extended ranges the trigger was intended for, however, I ended up selling it back to the original owner and would not sell it to anyone else, because unless you knew what you were doing with it, it was just too sensitive.

I can also handload ammunition for my .357 that is notably more accurate in my revolver than anything I can buy, but I would not choose it for EDC, or choose it for a daily defense load. That may not seem right, but it does seem to be the reality. If a candidate for EDC has good reliability, and good accuracy for the job, I leave things as stock as possible, to include the ammunition.

It’s a very sad commentary, but these days how it is, and how it can be MADE TO LOOK, can’t really be ignored.

3 Likes

No doubt 1911’s have great triggers and no doubt striker fired has more capacity. It’s the age-old discussion of rounds on Target. I absolutely love my Kimber custom super Carry and shoot it more accurately than my striker fired I am usually carrying.

Kimber is 8 + 1 and in my hellcat I am carrying 12 + 1. To be honest if it wasn’t for the comfort factor of the lighter firearm I would carry my Kimber more than I do. I guess you have to decide what the most probable self-defense situation is going to be that you may run into. If I don’t live and gang banger territory and avoid those areas I’m probably good with 8 + 1 and a spare mag. If I’m going to be in more sketchy areas the 12 + 1 and a spare 15 makes more sense.

If I carried even two additional spare 1911 mags I would still be three rounds less than the one spare mag for the hellcat. Honestly where I live and where I am usually out of the house at it probably it’s not a big deal. At my age though the comfort factor is huge.

5 Likes

For the full size frame 1911, Wilson Combat also makes 10 round magazines in .45acp. :open_mouth: Still not as much as modern 9mm handguns, but the 10 rounders are what I keep loaded up at home. They’re a bit too long for EDC, but great for home use.

And I’m no expert on multiple assailant scenarios, but I noticed a common theme in the three videos of actual incidents that I’ve seen. As soon as the victim starts shooting back, the cockroaches take off running. That’s limited data and might not always apply. But it does align with studies that show that bad guys look for potential victims who are distracted, where they can quickly get the upper hand and then flee the scene. But obviously, be prepared for anything.

Having said that, choosing to carry a 1911, I do practice reloads often as well as drills where multiple targets all get one shot before any of them get two or more.

4 Likes

True. As regulars here know, I am fond of pointing out that approximately 99.99% of private citizen self defense gun uses do not, for example, need a spare magazine. And probably a huge percentage of those don’t need more than 8 rounds. But, 10+ rounds used is exponentially more common (as in, it has happened and been documented) than using a reload.

So long as we are on the topic. :slight_smile:

Rarely (if ever), it seems, to private self defenders have time to reload before it’s over, one way or the other

3 Likes