Cleaning your handgun as something deeper than a chore

Thank you, Marc!

1 Like

You’re welcome! I hope the link helps answer your questions.

1 Like

Clean them when they need it. Wait also clean them when I need it. Sometimes it’s just so therapeutic to just tear them down, clean them, inspect them and reassemble them. Head clearing/cleaning moments in time.

1 Like

I find it a chore, but one of the more enjoyable ones. Not on the level of cleaning out the garage chore!

It may be because of my time in the Marine Corps when we were always cleaning weapons as a way to keep us busy, and as a punishment. They would have us draw our weapons on a Friday, and you couldn’t start your weekend liberty until it had been turned in to the armorer. After having just spent literally hours cleaning it, the armorer would tell you “it’s dirty, go back and finish cleaning it” just to screw with you, and sometimes this would go on 2 or 3 times.

After a few years of that, cleaning your weapon isn’t fun.

1 Like

Don’t know what model Sig you have, but this video shows cleaning for a Sig P365. The basic principles apply to most similar firearms.

2 Likes

And the very LAST thing you want to hear a surgeon say when you’re on the operating table is “Oops…”

2 Likes

Hoppes would make a great perfume

1 Like

Thank you, Gary. Watch and save the video after dinner. Thank you again. It’s a liberty and freedom to win it on the day and I need

2 Likes

Got that line over a PA system getting a CAT scan one day. Then the tech came out of her cubicle and put the lead filled “nad pad” as I call it where it belonged. Fortunately, my nads weren’t glowing and my kid has 10 fingers, 10 toes. He also got free college twice, (academics/mil) and bench pressed reps of 350 pounds in high school, so maybe radiation was a good thing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.
As far as cleaning being a spiritual thing…well, I’m a bit overdue on most of my guns per my standard, and really needing to get in the mood to tear down 11 pistols, 9 rifles and a shotgun. Need one or 2 more tolerable days so I can set up my production line system outside.

1 Like

Oh yeah that’s for sure. When we pull the trigger. We want all bangs no clicks. :us:

Sandra what make and model of Sig is your carry gun

It’s a P238 .380

Let me answer your question from a woman’s perspective. When I first started shooting handguns at around 60, I just took it as a chore (like housework) that had to be done in order to keep my gun (at that time a Buckmark .22) in top shape and pretty. I had a love/hate relationship with Hoppes. Yes, it cleaned great, but it made my skin peel. But, over the years, it has become that ritual you speak of. It has become “me time”. I clean mine the morning after a trip to the range. Lay everything out just so and grab a cup of coffee. After going through many different cleaners, I discovered two I really like, Frog Lube products and Liberal Tears (the latter because it smells like bacon. Now, I’ll ask to be excused because I need to find that darn spring that shot out of my 1911 .45 as I was putting it back together. At least it didn’t hit the ceiling light this time.

5 Likes

I was revisiting this thread and it occurred to me that perhaps the more correct descriptive term is sacred.
I’m sure my old TAC officer would agree!
Not in the religious sense however, but the secular.
Let me explain—
My life and everyone’s life which I desire to protect (basically my family) depends on my level of preparedness, and certainly on the mechanical functioning of my last ditch means of defense—
a duo of handguns I’ve dedicated towards the task (“set aside exclusively for” in keeping with the term sacred.)

What matters then, is proper maintenance since everything mechanical is subject to wear as well as failure when lacking proper maintenance and/or misuse.
Should you need your firearm, failure will be catastrophic.

1 Like

@Jean7 We have all been there. :rofl:

I hate cleaning my guns but I do it everytime I’m finished firing them. I do a great job but for me, ya, it;s a chore

I went to the range with these a few days ago & it took me three hours to give them a good cleaning. I actually took out the modular part of my Glock & cleaned it so that was a bit time consuming. I do that a few times a year in my modular models.

1 Like

A “love the babe, hate the dirty diaper” kind of thing, only you change the diaper because you love the babe.

When my babies had dirty diapers there’s no place else I’d rather have been than changing their dirty diapers(did you know that a billiard table is just the right height for a changing table?)
Only my pistols are tools, not babies, however I can use them to protect my kids (formerly known as babies.)
That alone makes pistol maintenance something more important than just a chore.

1 Like

It depends on time for me. If I have plenty of time and I’m well rested I enjoy cleaning, but when things are hectic and I’m tired (which is the norm for me) it feels more like a chore. It has to get done, but I just want to rest.

I do view maintenance as part of my gun hobby, but shooting is my favorite part.

1 Like

When I go to the range, I have to ask myself how many pistols I am willing to clean when I return. Usually five is the magic number not including my EDC which I always take.

1 Like