Cleaning ammo

That is common with a lot of .22lr. I don’t shoot .22lr much right now but when I did I really liked Wolf Match Target and Match Extra and my fingers would be all greasy right quick

3 Likes

UPDATE…

I shot this cleaned ammo today and found it 100% reliable.
Even the Acetone is cheap… I will never buy this brand again. :neutral_face:

4 Likes

Army days, we had ammo Maintenace usually it was at range during qual. 99% it was belt fed stuff, it entailed making sure there were no short rounds in the belt, making sure they were all even in the links, and light oil on the links themselves. Off topic but it just brought it to mind :us:

5 Likes

@Jerzees has refined tastes when it comes to pistols so it is likely he is dealing with tighter tolerances than most of us do.

Sounds like the cleaning of the ammo solved the problem. I would be concerned that the acetone might cause problems with the ammo over time. But if you minimize the amount that gets on the ammo and shoot the ammo shortly after cleaning you probably won’t have any problems. Just make sure to limit your own exposure to the acetone as well. It seems to be relatively safe but can cause health issues with too much exposure.

3 Likes

Yeah. Using acetone is not safe, so that procedure was the only single incident.
I cleaned each round individually using paper towel soaked in acetone, so there was no chance to harm ammo.

I’m guessing the copper / brass used for projectiles was not a great quality because it started changing color back to the original after few days … however casings are still nice and shiny.

With tight fit pistols I have to be picky with ammo choices, but never had any issues so far with any factory product.
This one seemed to be ok with sizes, but the material used or preservative made it oversized or too sticky.

5 Likes

Ya, most of my bulk 22lr ammo are sticky

1 Like

22LR is sticky because it won’t chamber if it’s dry. I’ve never had any issues with greasy or sticky 22LR ammo.

1 Like

I did not know that. Hmmmm. Learn something new every day

1 Like

A few years back, I wound up with some ammunition that was “less than factory fresh” like say comes in a new Federal box. All of it old, all of it dirty, some a little tarnished, and some (like mentioned above) somewhat sticky from whatever the reason. Me being the poster child for OCD, I decided to clean it. I tried everything from vibratory tumbling to a vinegar & salt water solution to carefully buffing it clean on a fine wire wheel. Understand, this was during the dark times a few years back with nothing on the shelves and no relief in sight so no way I was not trying to save as much of it as I could. The vibratory tumbler did not produce the results I hoped for. I was really hoping for bright shiny like-new brass. Even with all of the tips & tricks I read about, they still wound up dusty and in need of wiping down to get clean. Better than when I started but not really clean and shiny. The biggest aggravation was the media getting stuck in the hollow-points. That was a real pain to get out of there. The vinegar & salt water solution worked well on the tarnished rounds as it shined them right up but I worried, as noted above, about water intrusion into the case or around the primer. The wire wheel method definitely cleaned the case and projo but sometimes left brush marks that I really didn’t care for. The silvertips were especially susceptible brush marks and if you weren’t careful, as I found out, you could very easily turn one into a round nose. Some corroded cases or damaged rounds I didn’t mess with and disposed of accordingly. Attached are a couple of pics showing before and after on some .308 that was in the lot. Not very good pictures but you get the idea. So, yes, I have cleaned some and probably would do so again.

3 Likes