Clark County commissioners open to gun restrictions on Strip

Nevada Firearms PAC

45 mins ·

Apr. 29, 2019 8:01 PM EDT
Clark County commissioners open to gun restrictions on Strip
By RYAN TARINELLI
Associated Press
CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) — Some Clark County commissioners have voiced general support for considering firearm restrictions on the Las Vegas Strip if Nevada lawmakers give them the power to create stricter gun laws. The county would be given such power under an omnibus gun bill moving through the Democrat-controlled Legislature despite widespread opposition from Republicans and gun rights groups (AB 291). Some commissioners say state law prevented the body from enacting gun regulations following the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history. The gunman attacked a 2017 Las Vegas music festival and used bump stocks to mimic the firing rate of an automatic firearm. “As a large metropolitan area, we simply face different law enforcement challenges than other places in the state,” said Commissioner Justin Jones at a bill hearing, mentioning the millions of tourists who visit Las Vegas each year. He also said declaring the Las Vegas Strip a gun-free zone on major holidays would be a common-sense gun measure. Jones said in an interview that he expects there to be interest on firearm restrictions for the Las Vegas Strip, if the Nevada bill passes. Commissioner Tick Segerblom says he would go further. Segerblom said he’s not only in support of those restrictions, but wants a discussion over adding an assault weapons ban, handgun registrations and ammunition limitations. Giving counties the ability to dictate gun laws allows the conversation over firearm issues to extend past the state’s biennial legislative session, he said. Nevada is one of the few states in which the Legislature meets every other year. Jones and Segerblom are former state lawmakers who have backed gun bills in the past. Commission Chairman Marilyn Kirkpatrick expressed support for considering gun regulations for the Strip corridor, but cautioned that the commission would have to consider the impact on large hunting shows. The amended Nevada bill handily passed the Assembly with no Republican support. The Nevada bill would also ban bump stocks and lower the alcohol limit for legally possessing a firearm outside a person’s home. Unlike the original bill, the amended legislation would not allow cities and towns to enact stricter firearm laws. Yet the changes to the bill have not blunted criticism. Don Turner, president of the Nevada Firearms Coalition, said the group remains in strong opposition to the amended bill and is most concerned with provisions giving counties the ability to create stricter firearm laws, arguing that it’s easier to pass a local ordinance than a state law. Assemblyman Tom Roberts, a Republican who voted against the amended bill, said he is in support of the bump stock ban, but disagreed with giving counties the power to create more stringent firearm laws. He argued it would create a patchwork of laws. “It’s not something I believe that we should be giving up to the county commissions, when we have such a large and diverse state with huge differences of opinion on this issue,” he said.

What an absolutely terrible idea. What part of the the Constitution and Bill of Rights do these people not understand?

1 Like

Not all liberals are bad. I have a number of friends that consider themselves liberals that I go shooting with.

2 Likes

@Dawn I deleted my statements!

You didn’t need to delete them, @Fredrick!

I hope my view wasn’t offensive, it wasn’t meant to be. I think are arguments are stronger when they’re specific to the exact group we’re referring to.

This community will have people from all backgrounds - and our one common denominator is our support of the Second Amendment. Focusing on what unites us will make us stronger.

2 Likes

As a Nevada resident I would tell all of you that this place may be a great place to watch and see what could be coming to the rest of the country. California has moved so many of it’s people and opinions here to include our current Governor (Sissolak) and they are actively attacking the 2nd Amendment. Within the first six months of being in office and they introduced legislation to dismantle the Concealed Carry program in Nevada by repealing state Preemption, mandatory background checks on all sales public and private, bump stock ban, RED FLAG legislation, and they have growing support. It’s very disappointing. The fight is ongoing but I really think that the Far left/ California have infiltrated this place enough that there is little hope of holding them off.

1 Like

No offense to Californians (I was actually once a resident and still have family out there), but that State seems to “infect” the rest of the Country whether it’s with it’s laws (which it then strong arms other companies into complying with if they want to do business with the State, even if they are not incorporated in the State), or with people fleeing he State because they are following the jobs that are leaving the State (because CA State laws in general are unfriendly and expensive to employers).

But that’s where the obligation falls on us to when these folks come into our States/Communities to embrace them and win them over to our way of thinking and getting them to see the values of the new community they just joined. So make sure we’re inviting them to our BBQ’s, coffee, church, and oh yeah the gun range so they can become parts of our community instead of them trying to change our communities to those they just left.

Won’t be easy…but it’s that or we’ll all be blue States…or implement some sort of intra-State immigration policy, lol.

1 Like

Californication in progress.

1 Like

Any updates if the strip is now a gun-free zone?