Check this out at Amazon.com

IDENTILOCK Fingerprint Trigger Gun Lock, 360° Touch 0.5 Second Unlock - Includes: USB Charge Cable, Keys, and Product Instructions. Reliable, Fastest, Easiest Handgun Lock (Springfield Armory) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZRWSJ5T/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_S7.1DbCQHJ2RT

1 Like

It would be “cool”

Until that “one” time it didn’t work…

2 Likes

Here’s their website - anything look familiar:

4 Likes

Has anyone found out if this device is ambidextrous?

2 Likes

It looks like it’s designed for right-handed people:

But that doesn’t mean you couldn’t use your right index finger to release the Identilock as you grip the firearm… ? It’s all in how you train with it.

3 Likes

I used to work on designing fingerprint reading systems… I can say I’m NOT a fan.

Some people’s fingerprints do not “print” well on these devices and can result in a high number of failures to register and respond. Everything that changes… hydration level, humidity, sweating, anything on your fingers (oil, blood, paint), the speed and position of how you contact the reader… can cause the failure rate to go up.

Access to my firearm is something tha,t should I actually need to go there, it better be right first time every time. There’s no time for do-overs.

YMMV but biometric readers are 100% OFF my list.

5 Likes

Right hand shouldn’t be a problem for me. However…
I’m wondering why such smart device was not designed to be use by both hands.
There are a lot of cases you will need to use left hand to pickup the gun and unlock it within seconds.

• somebody sleeps on left side of bed, so the fastest access to gun is with left hand
  • somebody can be one handed (left arm only)
  • what if your right hand is in a cast …
    … and many more…
    $177 is to much for such limited functionality… even it is cool and handy device :ok_hand:

This is not a first time I feel a little discriminated at firearm field :wink::zipper_mouth_face::sleepy:

3 Likes

I’ve never owned one, nor like you said worked on them…

However, I was thinking the same thing you indicated.

1 Like

The fingerprint sensor on my safe died and it was terrible to use. I just use the key now, if I lock it.

2 Likes

@Sneezy did it fail to read a lot?

1 Like

:astonished::scream: not good…

1 Like

Bio-metrics is a neat concept but far from fool proof. That said on occasion they have some unintended benefits. There was an un named Admiral that kept having a dickens of a time getting into the secure facility where I was working. They used a retinal scanner for quick access otherwise it would take about 5 min to “play” your way in. The short version was that the Admiral had un diagnosed type 2 diabetes and was developing diabetic retinopathy which was changing his retina so no workie. Fortunately for him, some dumb Corpsman was in the Security room when the scans came across for physical review :roll_eyes:

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Definitely off my list. I do not trust such devices-prefer mechanical locks, and…I am left handed.

2 Likes

Me too!

You can call me untrustworthy of technology.

1 Like

This is probably the fastest and most reliable security system…

And I still prefer box instead of trigger lock

3 Likes

Simplex type locks… yep that’s the thing. No battery, no keyhole, no biometrics.

2 Likes

I had a computer years ago with a fingerprint reader. It was new and cool and then stopped working. Password are easy enough. My wife’s iPhone 6 would never read her fingerprint but worked with mine.

2 Likes

When I did my most recent live Scan, it took 40 minutes to get enough digital information to send in. My fingers are so scarred from the neuropathy, blacksmithing, and nuclear/electrician work they struggled to pick up the 50 minimum details each. My left pinky could not get more than 47, so the technician had to make special notifications.

2 Likes

The self serve “marketplace” in the break room at work has fingerprint capability. Takes 5-10 seconds IF it gets a good read. I’m not a fan.

2 Likes

Yes. It’s also a “stack on” so not the highest quality.

2 Likes