Cell Phone: Vital Tool or Necessary Evil?

I am just curious about what other, like minded people, think about cell phones. I view it more as a necessary evil. Please share your thoughts, and/or concerns.

1 Like

It has become both for me.

5 Likes

A valuable tool, yes. Definitely necessary for a multitude of reasons such as communication in a critical situation first and foremost. I use my phone regularly for research, organization, finances, contact with family, appointments…and even occasionally to make a call :slight_smile:

For the most part my mobile devices have replaced my main desktop/laptop with my cell phone being the primary device I use.

4 Likes

A tool that needs to be closely managed to make sure it is only working for me.

4 Likes

A phone is a tool like a gun is a tool. It can be used for good or for bad. Setting boundaries and keeping situationally aware (with your technology and on your technology) are important.

4 Likes

The moment Alexander Graham Bell picked up that receiver and said “Hello?” it was clear that a perfect eavesdropping device was born :slight_smile:

Also, if intelligence services got together to brainstorm how to track movements, actions, and communications of every person in the world, and on top of it make the fools pay for the whole program - they would come up with modern smartphone, loaded with Google and Facebook crap. :slight_smile:

I disagree that the smart phone is a tool like any others - it has a will of its own, acting on behalf of the corporations of dubious intent, your friendly government, and sometimes, not so friendly foreign governments and international criminals. You can’t control that merry bunch.

Whether it is vital or evil, doesn’t matter, it’s fait accompli.

5 Likes

Cell phones are evil. They give us a sense of accomplishment and freedom. Couldn’t be further from the truth. In addition, they will be worthless if SHTF.

3 Likes

Unnecessary necessity :smirk:

2 Likes

Cell phone changed my life. It has been part of my business since I’ve started it. But I’m still missing old type flip phone. It is very useful as a phone, sometimes needed as email client and web browser, completely unnecessary for social media BS .

1 Like

Unfortunately the phone for me is a necessary evil and I wouldn’t own a phone if it wasn’t needs for my job to commit with my boss and get my dispatch for the next day.

1 Like

Walter Matthau playing a SCOTUS Justice in an old movie once said “A telephone has NO constitutional right to be answered.”

I’ve taken that to a fine point in my old age. Good advice is hard won and disregarded at one’s peril.
Cell phone is no different… Although it IS easier to notice when SWMBO is calling in.

On the other hand, Seriously, we are 75% of the way onto an honest to God TRICORDER folks! Most of the important sensors are built in and a goodly number of the others are already available via bluetooth or the cloud. Many of the wished for are only because of operating RAM and programmers abilities.

YES, BOTH! Vital Tool & Necessary Evil.
Just remember to keep the folks who have no need whatsoever from knowing your location data. See if you can keep them out of your data files and OS on the handset too!

5 Likes

My phone and I have a healthy relationship- it’s there when I want or need it, otherwise, it mostly lays around waiting patiently, without moaning and groaning about being ignored.

2 Likes

I rarely answer my phone. I hate talking on the phone (though I hold as many as 30 conference calls a week), and if I don’t recognize a number, I will always let it ring to voice mail.

2 Likes

The day I retire, I fully intend to put a round of .357 Sig through the center of my cell phone.

But, in all seriousness, they’ve all but become a necessity whether we like it or not.

3 Likes

Yes. More’s the pity.

Worse than that even, they could be very dangerous to have in a SHTF scenario.

1 Like

Serpents in the garden.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Agreed. I’ll strap mine to an enemy combatant.

2 Likes

A cell phone is a vital tool. It is your life line to the USCCA god forbid you have to go through a critical incident

3 Likes