CCW Tackles from behind?

Is there any way to prevent this occurrence. It looks like a random guy tackled a man he saw had a gun, and other men helped the man disarm the gun carrier.

I don’t know the details of this story. I think it’s ridiculous, but it made me think “what would I do”?

Caption of the video from YouTube: It happened inside a Riverview, Fla., Walmart, and the man who attacked the gun carrier was charged with the battery. The victim was legally carrying his gun. ~Dawn

4 Likes

That’s the reason I prefer to conceal the firearm.

6 Likes

That’s an odd video of a bunch of seemingly random guys working in concert to disarm. I’d say they’re undercover LEO, but their timing was so poor. It’d be lousy to be that guy though.

2 Likes

Pretty sure this is the video from a good guy carrying concealed and then some over zealous bystanders tackled and forcibly disarmed him. When it got sorted out, the bystanders were charged with assault

9 Likes

Here’s one article about the incident. You have to search for articles written in Jan 2015.

Man shopping for coffee creamer at Walmart attacked by vigilante for carrying gun he was legally permitted to have

9 Likes

I don’t know the details of the story but what was that all about. SMH

1 Like

This shows how people are poorly educated about about 2A and right to carrying a firearm.
I can be against but at least I should know the Law.

6 Likes

Apparently, being seen dawning the gun at the car would be the first mistake. It is best to be concealed. This matter of placing it in your waist after you get out of the car can set you up for a bad guy and as well, someone wanting to be a hero. We are not carrying to be a hero, we carry to protect ourselves and our own. If, like this guy, being taken down did the right thing, notified the others that he does have a permit. Just like any actual shooting, the police will sort out whats going on and in this case justice was served the the guy taking the other guy down was charged, not the Conceal carrier. Over reaction to a situation is not a good reaction.

6 Likes

I wonder if he could have rightfully shot the attacker for thinking he was going to take his gun and shoot him with it… A giant misunderstanding for sure, but man, I sure don’t want to be forceably disarmed by someone not identifying as a LEO.

3 Likes

I’m with you @Glock27ccw. If someone is trying to disarm me, they are threatening my life. I do not know their intentions and must assume they plan on killing or seriously injuring me.
As far as protection, carrying concealed would be my first response. If open carrying, this shows why double or triple retention holsters are a good choice.

9 Likes

This is one of the reasons why Michigan’s laws suck. (I realize the incident was in Florida).

In Michigan anyone 18+ can open carry without a CPL. But to transport without a concealed pistol license you have to unload the firearm and put it in a case as far away from you in the vehicle as possible. That means when you get out you have to load it and holster it in full public view.

But yeah if someone manages to tackle me from behind and put me in a choke hold, they’re getting some lead flowers. If they’re choking me out then i definitely have cause to fear for my life.

3 Likes

Watch your 6… It’s a thing for a reason.

4 Likes

I’m observant, but that man got charged totally out of the blue. I am alert, but this could have gotten me for sure. I agree that they’re lucky he didn’t pull his gun.

It seems Appendix carry would have been superior for this (I do not appendix carry).

4 Likes

There is no prevention any more than you can prevent any other crime. The video has little context, but I can imagine this attacker spotted the CCW, followed/stalked him towards the store, waited for the right moment and then pounced. Exact same as a criminal who wanted to mug someone.

Awareness buys you time, time buys you options

If the CCW had a little more situational awareness, he may have been able to see him coming and either been able to draw, prevent the immediate takedown, or even get a hand on the firearm to prevent disarm. Manage distance enough to create the half-second of “what the FLOWER are you doing?”. If you are more aware (presuming the attacker looked like he was going to attack) you can keep your distance and maybe even get to store security about some weirdo following you.

But that is a tough call, because make no mistake that was a sneak attack. I’d call it a sucker punch, but its more like a sucker tackle. The CCW is immediately behind the curve and has to struggle to catch up.

From the perspective of preventing this in the first place… Dont look like prey. In this case, the visible firearm was the equivalent to putting on a Rolex and then getting mugged. Make sure if you are carrying concealed that it is concealed.

Appendix carriers have an advantage here, in that it is easier to retain possession of the firearm in front of you than it is beside or even behind you.

Some folks will carry a weak-side “get off me” blade. If you dont have a tool, you will have to fall back to hand-to-hand skills, and this CCW at 60+ years old was at a severe deficit against his attacker.

4 Likes

Agreed. I’m not pointing fault, prob would’ve got me too unless I just got lucky seeing him coming. But then what?? No weapon in hand, no gun pointed etc… A nasty argument? A fist fight… Geez, who knows. Could’ve gone anywhere.

Would’ve been a great time for pepper if you saw him stalking.

Lesson noted: Keep it covert.

4 Likes

That would actually be my first thought. For someone to try to take me down for my gun they would have to be a desperate person. To actually know their intent, would be hard. The actual action created, an equal reaction will pursue. At reading this the first time, the reaction to the call out “,He has a gun!” then to de-escalate the situation calling out that I have a concealed weapons permit. In reality, how a person responds to a situation will vary because of the situation the person is in and the state of mind they are in as well. Passive or aggressive, what will it be?

1 Like

In my experience, appendix carry is possibly the least comfortable but gives the fastest draw and best retention. I carry on my strong side, and would never be caught dead carrying in the small of my back. I can’t tell if I’m showing, and if I am everyone else knows it before I do.

5 Likes

Good point. Guns are valuable and if people know you have one, they could jump you to steal it.

2 Likes

The man going to disarm the carrier was very lucky that he didn’t get shot or get anyone else shot. We talk about the fact that we’re not police officers when we carry and how we should be a good witness. It looks like the man who went to disarm the carrier could have made a better choice to call the police instead.

@Gunner502 I actually find appendix more comfortable than other carry - but it definitely took some getting used to. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

For me, every time I have tried to carry at AIWB, while it feels secure and is a marginally faster draw, I also feel like I could shoot myself in the femoral artery or groin. Mentally, not as concerned about a ND if it’s only my butt cheek…

7 Likes