*ccw revoked*because gun was stolen out of locked truck on private property(ca)

I just received a certified letter in the mail a week or so ago stating my CCW was being revoked. Yes, unfortunately I live in California. Here is what happened…

I went to get into my truck early on a Sunday morning & the moment that I noticed things were scattered everywhere as I was getting into my truck, I immediately called the police. He also got into my wife’s car but was nothing in there to steal. Everything seemed to go fine…until the officer begins to give me a ticket for improper storage. He stated my firearm was suppose to be in a locked box & physically attached to my truck. I then received a call from the captain in charge of ccw permits, requesting I bring my ccw permit paper & hard card into the station. I brought them that same day and he told me it would be under review for around 2 weeks. I waited patiently and only made one call on week #4 to get an update, and was told it was still under review. 9 weeks later I receive the letter I referred to above.

Page 2… I’ve been an elite member of USCCA for about 3 or 4 yrs now and they have AMAZING customer service. Trina was a HUGE help. I have a video of the guy going into my truck(30 sec clip only). Mask on(Covid has made thieves millions by now) the told Trina what had happened. I told her I had my doors locked & so did my wife but there was no “forced entry”. She googled and done some homework and found that people have been programming key fobs and my truck was on the top of the list for this happening. After she reviewed the footage, she brought to my attention that you can actually see the thief pressing a key fob in his right hand as he opens the door with his left. She was SO helpful. I would love to stay with USCCA even though I’m revoked LOL, just because I love the community. THAT being said, one of the points the sheriff makes in my revoked letter, is that there was no forced entry and so it seemed like I was being careless. I NEVER and my wife NEVER leaves our doors unlocked. EVER. Neither would I have left my gun in my truck had I known it was against the law. I was told it was a newer law that hasn’t been long took effect? I can understand if I was at Walmart, but it being in my driveway, out of sight in a console, truck locked, this is a tough pill to swallow. Lesson learned. You guys be safe out there and learn from my mistake.

30 Likes

I’m guessing there’s no way to be reinstated? There must be some type of recourse?
With all the evidence it can’t be more than a misdemeanor? I could be wrong, I’m just a member not a lawyer!
Doesn’t Kalifornia Prop:55643234457678653, say you can get it back or do you have to be a felon to get your rights back?
It doesn’t sound like you did ANYTHING wrong it was locked up on your own property!
I would not give up, can you acquire a license from another state?
Well good luck!

9 Likes

Man I am so sorry this happened to you and pray it will work out.

7 Likes

I’m by no means a lawyer, but I would check your regs… you should be able to appeal. If you have additional evidence, such as the video, it could help.

8 Likes

I got chided a lot by family for having a lock box in every vehicle and other lock methods, so that if I leave a gun in a vehicle, say to go int the post office or visit a friend where guns are not welcome, the gun will be behind the vehicle lock, and the gun specific lock. I even lock rifles down if a trip may require a stop or two along the road where the truck might be unattended for some period. some informal competition days though that’s a little tough and all you can do is try to make sure you don’t have to leave the vehicle or that it’s attended. It’s a lot of work to go to certain times, and as i said, i get chided for it all , but something like what happened to you is, among other reasons, why i feel it;s worth it.

Sure sorry to hear that happened to you . I hope you can get it worked out . we’d like to hear how it goes

8 Likes

@Timothy76 sorry to hear the terrible news, man. Im From Cali as well, and the information about leaving a firearm in your car should have been covered in your ccw training. The firearm should have been stored in a lock box that is permanently affixed to the car and stored separately from any loaded magazines. I believe there is an appeal process, you should look into it. You said your car was parked on your property, but is your driveway where you parked enclosed with a locked gate? If your driveway is unenclosed allowing anyone to easily enter your property, it may be used against you. If your driveway is enclosed with a locked gate and the people who broke into your car had to jump your fence, maybe you can use that in your appeal as well. I’m not a lawyer and maybe I’m just reaching here, but it’s just an idea. Hope you appeal and get your ccw reinstated. Best wishes!!

5 Likes

So sorry for what happened. Not sure what new law that is.
This was from 2016 if I’m not mistaken.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term “locked container” means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.

2 Likes

Hey guys, I’m guilty. That’s why I said “learn from my mistake”. I hope what I’ve done can help others not make the same mistake. I think where my frustration comes in, regardless of it being law, it was locked up on private property. I understand it was not in a locked box inside my locked truck, and I also understand there is no gate around my property, but it’s still a tough pill to swallow considering how Pro Police I am.

I was told by the captain there is no appeals process?

3 Likes

I was told there is no appeals process by the ccw captain. Thanks for the response my friend.

2 Likes

This is all correct man. You are absolutely right. I wished I had knew all this. It’s my fault because it’s my responsibility to have known it. When I first called my instructor to tell him what happened, he was blown away and thought I had done nothing wrong, after talking to some guys around him during the call, he realized he was wrong as well as I. BUT I’m not the kinda guy to point fingers and I take full responsibility. Maybe he went over it in class 4 yrs ago or 1 yr ago(Renew) and I just misunderstood.

2 Likes

I have the clip but unless you zoom in and watch close you can’t see the key fob. Im sure the sheriff just took his officer’s word for “no force entry” and that was probably the end of it. I doubt very seriously the sheriff himself even watched the video, even though it’s him who makes the final call.

2 Likes

Just an FYI for all you guys, the programming of key fobs is getting extremely popular by thieves. Just the other day some teens were caught in the Wal Mart parking lot messing with people unlocking their vehicles as they would lock them. Just as a joke making it funny to watch the people thinking they are going crazy from their my fobs “not working right” when it was just a car load of teens with some programmed key fobs. Lock your doors from the inside of your truck, not with your fob.

5 Likes

@Timothy76 Hey, curious question here, what car do you have? Trying to figure out the vulnerability (or hopefully lack therof) of my car.

2 Likes

Well, if you can’t appeal, you could always move :thinking:
There are several states close that are a lot less enthusiastic about infringing on your rights.

6 Likes

Hmmm…what if they steal your car, lock box and all?

5 Likes

What I’m hearing is you need a lockbox within a lockbox within a lockbox within a lockbox within a lockbox, how locked up does a free citizen have to be, to be free?
It seems if we locked up the bad actors as securely as you have to secure your legal weapons, maybe we wouldn’t need to lock up our rights! A murderer can appeal for decades and get his rights restored?
I’m beginning to think we’re on the wrong side!

7 Likes

Sorry to hear about your CCW being revoked.

I found a document from the Sacramento Sheriff that there is a process for appealing a revoked CCW license. The address is the same as appealing a denied CCW.

https://www.sacsheriff.com/Pages/Organization/SIIB/documents/CCW%20Policy%20and%20Procedures%201-14.pdf

You may consider sending an appeal to your county sheriff to the same address as denied permits. You will at least have something in writing documenting your evidence and presenting your case.

4 Likes

Can secured not be in a locked vehicle?

3 Likes

Are there other folks who might be able to help or shine a light on this? GOA? Ammoland?

2 Likes

Again I’m no a lawyer, and you may need one, but have you been charged with a crime? Is it a Kaliforia “wobbler”? Misdemeanor/felony?

1 Like