Carrying more than one type of ammo?

One thing I have seen is there are different levels of body armor. Some will help, while others are guaranteed to stop everything up to a 44 mag, Level II, Level IIA Level III and Level IIIA. Street thugs have been known to wear body armor made from tires as well.

As far as I know I may not need more than 5 or Six rounds, But that is the point of Standard Capacity 9 MM, to have the availability of more rounds if needed. Also from looking around there are some very good hollowpoints.

1 Like

In my GHB is a 7.5-inch AR15 pistol. I have (6) spare 20-rd mags, plus the (1) 20-rd mag in the gun. (4) of the mags are loaded with Fiocchi 55gr Polymer-tipped rounds. (3) mags are loaded with M855s. My mags are clear/transparent Lancers.

3 Likes

I am a big fan of the Lancer mags. I use the transparent flat dark earth and smoke colors. The mags seem to work very well. I have never experienced a mag induced failure with them.

4 Likes

When I carry my LCR it is loaded with 148 grain wadcutters. My back up strip has +P JHP. The wadcutter is harder to load than a round nose or JHP.

3 Likes

As I can, I am replacing all of my Pmags with Lancers.

1 Like

Both top shelf choices.

3 Likes

The last round or two in my revolvers are always hard cast, semi-wadcutters for the possibility of needing extra penetration. Statistically, I’ll never get past the first 3-4 rounds and won’t need them, but it makes me feel better that the option is there.

1 Like

Look up Fort Scott Munitions TUI ammo. Even the 9mm stuff will pierce soft body armor, it tumbles and penatrates just as well as underwood extreme penatrators in ballistics gel.

I want to get some in 10mm and 44 magnum…

I carry a total of 2 extra magazines + 1 magazine in the handgun. One of the magazines has, 2 rounds of snake shot then alternating +P FMJ and +P hollow points.

I think while we all are saying in our own way that we carry what we anticipate we most likely think we’ll need in our given situations. If you think you’re going to need something for bear carry something for bear, if you think the predators you will encounter are the two legged variety carry what you’re comfortable for that. I remember as a kid I would walk fields after a rainstorm to turn over square bales of hay so they would dry and not mold. Seems like every seven or eight bales I encounter a copperhead. I carried Western revolver loaded with snake shot and a pocket full of spare ammo.

We all carry what our needs called for and no one way is right or wrong.

2 Likes

This I will do. When I travel and for whatever reason I need one gun to do double duty I bring my Dan Wesson 10mm 1911 and multiple mags loaded with 135 grain SD ammo for street wear and another bunch with 180 grain hard cast solids for woods carry.

But the chances of me dropping a mag to load a different type of ammo during a deadly force confrontation are well below ZERO %! That makes no sense to me under any circumstances.

4 Likes