Carrying more than one type of ammo?

On the street, likely some dumb thug in which JHP will suffice; in the woods where bears are common, a FMJ is likely better. I don’t suspect a thug will likely have body armor and once the shooting begins, will not likely stick around, unless you stopped him/her (they/them?).

2 Likes

Even with body armor, is there any known body armor where an EDC pistol with JHP would not penetrate but a FMJ would? That’s not a situation I am aware of

3 Likes

I agree with you there. I was only stating, as @ShooterRick was stating the most likely situation, which, I believe, would be that the thug does not have body armor.

3 Likes

You do not allow PMs, so I will state it here. Are you doing okay? Many of your recent posts have been far more adversarial than usual. You typically post plain facts, but you have been questioning even the regular posters with some unusual accusations.

1 Like

Accusations?

I am seeking plain facts. Are there any body armors where an EDC pistol with JHP would not penetrate, but a FMJ would?

I am not going to play this game. Either PM me or get over whatever your issue is. I am willing to talk.

2 Likes

ShooterRick, I was being facetious. I know, lol. It was like saying, “Can I play?” I got some frangibles, some flechettes, some other exotics too! Lol. No not really, lol.

2 Likes

Interesting point ShooterRick. Thanks for that. Good overall post!

Thinking of the big picture, of others, risks, bystanders. Heard that JHP are less likely to ricochet. Saw Hornady FTX reportedly has a clog resistant plastic filling for the hollow point, so I was able to find them in various calibers, to help fit my different needs, as EDC defensive rounds.

Like ShooterRick points out, if there’s a rare pre-known situation one’s going into that calls for different ammo, it makes sense to match the need. But for me, average every day, I go with my regular “go to”.

I like the quality of Hornady, and especially nickel plated casings if you can find em during the shortages. I only wish the bullets were copper.

Remember to run/cycle some thru the firearm at the range to ensure it likes them.

Personally, not a fan of different rounds in the spare mags for handgun EDC, but respect those who differ.

Stay safe/warm.

3 Likes

I once had a 44 magnum that I could shoot through power poles, and brick or block walls, there was no hiding from me.

8 Likes

The burglar hiding behind the refrigerator in your neighbors garage?:rofl:

6 Likes

Only if filled with frozen sides of beef… :sunglasses: This reminds me of the movie Johnny Dangerously about the handgun for Joe Piscopo’s character:

It’s an .88 magnum. They made it special for him.
This goes through armor.
Then it goes through the victim…
through the wall, through a tree…
It shoots through schools.

3 Likes

Hey all is good here. Just let me get my second cup of coffee so I can be civil! lol

2 Likes

I know of at least one but it would be illegal. So I am not going to explain it. :thinking:

2 Likes

Yeah…there are laws relating to actual armor piercing ammunition as opposed to off the shelf FMJ. I get ya.

Something something 5.7 is one that comes to mind

3 Likes

There’s a Dirty Harry joke around here somewhere…

4 Likes

If a 9 mm will blow your lungs clean out imagine what a 44 magnum would do!

4 Likes

I know what you’re thinking. ‘Did he fire six shots or only five’? Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, i kind of lost track myself. But being that this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well do ya, punk?

Harry Callahan

8 Likes

That’s exactly the quote I was thinking about in my post.

This needs to go in the movie clip/quotes thread as well

3 Likes

I carry quality JHP self defense ammo. It is designed to reliably penetrate through common barriers but not over penetrate through bad guys. Aside from a situation where I am hiking in the wilderness in an area with large bears, where I would likely switch to hard cast bullets, I can’t think of a situation where I would carry two types of ammo for my pistol.

Even if I had legal access to pistol ammo designed to penetrate body armor I think having the opportunity to switch to it in a self defense situation would be unlikely. If you see someone wearing body armor outside their clothing they are most likely going to be using rifle rated armor that would easily stop armor piercing pistol rounds. If they are wearing hidden soft armor you aren’t going to know it until your center mass shots don’t have the desired effect. In which case you would likely be far better off quickly changing your aim to the head or pelvis than trying to take the time to change magazines.

8 Likes

I like to keep things simple.
My attention needs to be on my target, not what’s in the chamber or my pockets…

5 Likes