Car jacking

Hi All
I was always worried about car jacking and having to shoot through the windshield to protect myself and family. I carry a 9 mm Glock 19, with two 15 round magazines . The ammo I use is Barnes 115 gr TAC-XPD (JHP) and Buffalo Bore 9 mm, 124 gr FMJ-FN. So, the way have have the magazine’s set up is every 3rd round is a FMJ - FN, alternating this configuration with both mags. My concern is my JHP will deflect off the windshield and not hit the target, but the flat nose will. I understand the aspect of over penetration, please offer any suggestions !!! PEACE and be Safe!!!

5 Likes

Vincent, welcome to the community.

I would not recommend alternating bullet types within a mag. I actually wouldn’t recommend even loading FMJ in a mag intended for CC. If you have overpenetration with that FMJ, you could have a problem.

At the distance you would have between your muzzle and windshield (you Inside the vehicle), either style will have no problem penetrating the glass.

One thing to keep in mind - it would seem that the bullet would change course to a downward trajectory due to the angle of the windshield. That is not the case, however. It will deflect Upwards. 9 mm at a hood-length, you can expect approx 6".

8 Likes

The first shot would be the one to deflect as the second should go through better. That is why Hornady came up with the defense and duty rounds with the hollow point filled round will shoot through objects better with more accuracy. Also if you place the muzzle against the window and pull the trigger cover your eyes to protect yourself from glass chard.
I would suggest that you keep your doors locked when you are in the car. Then using the pedal on the right to get away from anyone. In traffic, always leave room in front of you to be able to maneuver out of a situation. Lock your doors at Gas stations when your not in your vehicle. Back on subject, your last resort should be defending yourself by shooting through the window.

18 Likes

Tested by the Buick o Truth
The Buick O' Truth #1 - Windshields Inside/Out | Firearms and Ammuni Forum
I enjoyed all the box o truth articles. Nice to know what ammo does once it leaves the barrel. Sometimes surprising.

7 Likes

I always stick to one type of ammunition per magazine for reliability purposes, point of aim consistency, and knowing that it will always do what I want it to do. If you’re concerned about penetration, choose a heavy-for-caliber die-cut hollowpoint. You don’t get as consistent expansion, but they are much better at passing undeformed through hard barriers with less deflection due to higher inertia.

If you shoot a full-sized gun this is easy. I am a fan of 147gr Winchester Ranger SXT T-series. They’re accurate, they have a low felt recoil impulse, they run reliably in everything I’ve fed them through so far, and they have a die-cut design and a high projectile mass which causes them to fly straighter through barriers.

One issue though. 147’s do not tend to like pocket pistols. You will miss out on consistent expansion if you try to run a 147 through something like a GLOCK 43 or a Sig 365.

As far as deterring the carjacking to begin with? Most of the obvious stuff has been covered. Lock your car whenever you’re away from it, lock it whenever you’re inside, never leave any less than a full car length between you and the vehicle ahead of you, be situationally aware, and know your limits. But something else to consider right now:
Don’t put any bumper stickers on your vehicle. ESPECIALLY ones which might directly, or even indirectly, suggest who you might be voting for. If anyone complaining about vandalism and property damage this late into 2020 still has punisher skulls on their vehicle, honestly, that’s just natural selection at work and I have a really hard time feeling sorry for people who refuse to take reasonable precautions.
An angry mob does not respect your first amendment rights and an angry jury does not respect your second amendment rights.

4 Likes

Haha, love the name! Good practical testing too.

4 Likes

A short vid. I like his last comment “don’t worry about it, keep shooting until the threat is eliminated”.

7 Likes

Thanks to all for your good advice!!!

5 Likes

I am confused, if the windshield is intact in what situation would you be shooting through it? Why not drive away from or over what you are in fear of?

5 Likes

Holy hand grenades batman! I’ve never heard of boxotruth before but they literally have tons of great stuff that I’ve always been curious about! Thanks for sharing!!!

4 Likes

Did a lot of internet searching while waiting for all my guns and ammo to show up this year​:wink: Glad you enjoyed it, that’s what this community of for​:+1::+1::us:

3 Likes

I going to check this page out!!

3 Likes

So I followed the link and was surprised that firing through a windshield would deflect the bullet up. That seems counter intuitive to me. With the angle of most windshields from the inside, I would have expected it to deflect downward after impacting the windshield. Interesting to ponder the dynamics here.

2 Likes

If the angle between the barrel/bullet trajectory and the windshield is shallow, the bullet will ricochet downwards and not go thru the windshield. If the angle is steeper, then the bullet will go thru the windshield following the path of least resistance, i.e. will try to go perpendicular to the windshield. I honestly do not know the exact angles that would determine ricochet vs. penetration. Kind of akin to skipping stones on the water. Shallow enough of an angle, the stone skips/ricochets, too steep, it hits the water and heads for the bottom.

4 Likes