Burst hopes and dreams

So I was planning on purchasing a shotgun this April for a while. I have been saving up to purchase a Mossberg 590 and had all the accessories I wanted picked out and loaded on my browser so when I had enough for all of it I would buy it all at once. I never planned for the Corona when it first came about months ago but I still didn’t have enough money saved.

This pay day, March 31 for us retired military, I will have enough saved up for my shotgun… The joke is that there are no shotguns in stock anywhere near me. The ones that are still available online are price gouged. I’m a day late and a dollar short…

Any idea how long it takes for shotguns to get back in stock during a situation like this? I’ve never purchased a firearm during a panic buy frenzy. I have my EDC Glock 26 9mm but I would like a shotgun for shtf apartment defense, and hunting. Guess I should have been saving harder

8 Likes

@BubbaBear917 I am a US Military collector and I can’t tell you the number of times an “OH $h!t” has interrupted my plans. It was only recently that I even looked at a Mossburg 590A1. I carried on in some far off place but never really liked them. The ones I have seen for sale didn’t have the correct sights (OK I’m a purist). I don’t like the 5XX series of Mossburg’s as I think they have way too many parts but as a collector I need one to fill the hole and a 12Ga of any variety is a good thing to have. Just bide your time and keep the door open for an 870 Express (better gun IMHO)

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

I was watching a few videos and in the navy I was trained and carried a 590 though I never deployed over seas I carried on bases I was stationed at here in the US. I like the 5xx series cause of the vast amount of aftermarket parts. I’m also not familiar with the Remington 870. I know they are relatively similar minus a few changes, i.e. the safety placement, trigger group, etc. I like the 590a1 cause it has the metal trigger group as opposed to polymer which I saw has a tendency to break. I want to cover all bases and I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I was told if I get the Remington I should go with the Police Magnum version as it is the upgraded version and capable of heavier loads. I’d only use standard 2 3/4 shells but I like the ability to fire mag loads. I am on the fence and pretty much flipped a coin to decide on the 590.

The only place I’ve been able to find either is auction sites like GunBroker.com. I just don’t know about buying guns on auction online. I want to be able to see and feel the gun make sure I’m comfortable with it and they aren’t throwing shade over my eyes. Not very trusting of Internet buys as I’ve been burned before.

I do like the Police Magnum though. Is the Remington express reliable as it is the base model of that series of shotgun?

3 Likes

Well don’t beat yourself up this one come on quick unlike a election or some stupid legislation that we would have some warning. I would just keep saving figuring on buying around July when the manufactures have had a chance to catch up on the demand and the shelves are stocked again. Use the extra $$ you save for ammo in case we have a second wave of COVID-19 this Fall and repeat the run on guns and ammo. You will like the 590 A1 it is worth the wait.

5 Likes

I just asked my magic 8 ball and it decided I should go with the Remington 870 Wingmaster and invest in an 18.5" barrel. Correct me if I’m wrong but the newer models of 870 can all shot Magnum loads?

3 Likes

Depending on the model you can get 870’s with a steel / metal trigger guard or you can order one from places like Brownell’s. I think I actually have a spare metal one in my box o’ parts. Most 870’s can shoot 2 3/4" & 3" Magnum. I’m not a heavy shotgun guy but I think several models can do the 3 1/2" Mags too with the right barrel. From talking with the Remington guys all 870’s are the same receiver it’s just one gets pretty the other gets parkerized. Like I said though not a shotgun guru, YRMV.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

I don’t know where you live, but in the cities you can find them on the street.

3 Likes

My 870s are stamped “MAGNUM” on the receiver–but I have the express, not the wingmaster.

4 Likes

Besides the obvious appearance difference. The Wingmaster has the smoother action. Wingmaster parts are machined, the Express parts are stamped. Still both are reliable, tough guns. I own both.

4 Likes

Yes, they are much smoother, more expensive, and prettier.
I wasn’t looking for pretty–I’ll save that for my O/Us. :slight_smile:
The majority of my guns are working guns that I’m not afraid to get dinged up.

5 Likes

A old school (1970’s) Wingmaster. A true ‘working gun’.(GRIN) Even god has lost count of how many rounds have gone through it. It’s been rained on, submerged, mud covered, and dropped, more times than I can count. It is still going strong, with it’s 3 different barrels, it is my go to choice. If you look close that is NOT a white spacer between the recoil pad and stock, but impact damage to the stock where I slammed it into a big rock to keep from slipping over the edge of a cliff. The gun was only weeks old at the time of the damage.

7 Likes

A much newer Express with a screw-in (Rem-choke) extra full turkey choke.

3 Likes

My main purpose for the shotgun is apartment defense. However I do want to get a longer barrel for hunting with it. I keep hearing the 870 come up so I think I’m going with that one for sure. Would I be able to message you sometime towards advice regarding it? You seem to be knowledgeable on the firearm.

4 Likes

Sure, no problem at all.

4 Likes

I have the 870 DM that feeds with a box mag. I like it.
Much quicker reload.

4 Likes

If I were to buy today and wanted one for both defense and hunting upland game, deer, and turkey, it would be a Wingmaster with rem-choke and a 26" barrel. My chokes would be improved cylinder, modified, and extra full. That will cover anything you want to do. After that you can add tactical barrel, slug barrel, whatever lights your fire. Anyway that’s my humble opinion.

If you wanted to save a few buck then the Express in similar setup is a fine choice.

Note: I just edited chokes from saying “cylinder, Improved,” to what I meant to say which is “improved cylinder”. Not sure how I messed that up and did not notice it till now, Sorry. 3/29/20

5 Likes

I have an 870 Express Magnum with the 18.5" barrel. I have owned her since 1992. After thousands of rounds, I have had zero problems. I am a big fan of the 870. What guided my choice back then was that it was a popular police shotgun. Good enough for the police was good enough for me.

5 Likes

You are probably not going to find any sales right now but you should be able to find a reputable firearms dealer that is able to order what you are looking for and give you a reasonable idea of how long it will take to get it. Call around and tell them you can pay cash and it might help get it a little faster.

4 Likes

Bubba, thank you for your service.

Take heart, this crisis won’t last forever, and you’ll soon have in-hand “the knurled stock of as cooly deadly-looking piece of weaponry as I had ever laid eyes on.” (A quick Christmas Story reference)

In the meantime, stay safe, and your Glock will serve you well if SHTF.

4 Likes

Not sure now with all the Corona stuff, but the LGS and pawn shops usually have a few Rem 870’s, in stock, often the Wingmaster. Probably have a ding or two, but those add character to a working type gun to me.

I got a 870 Express new years ago, after fixing a couple little problems with it, it has worked great. Also have a used pawn shop Wingmaster that works great, and the action is a little smoother.

The only real “upgrade” I want on my Express would be to get the metal trigger group.

Anyway, the 5XX, Express, or Wingmaster should be a solid used gun to get. Use the money you save for some ‘tacticool’ goodness and ammo.

5 Likes