Brass Knuckles: Legal in your state?

Texas is making brass knuckles and things like Wild Cat keychains legal in public as of September 1.

What does your state say about those self-defense tools?

2 Likes

According to our good friend, Tom Grieve’s law office, they’re illegal in Wisconsin unless you’ve got a carry permit.

I’ve always taught my kids to carry their keys between their fingers for additional damage to a punch. Keys are perfectly legal for kids and adults to have.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I think this one will probably serve to do more harm than good as we’ll see more prohibited persons carrying and using them than anyone else.

What’s always bothered me honestly though was that for many years a great many perfectly good less lethal tools like batons, slapjacks etc were unlawful even if you had a permit.

1 Like

Don’t carry keys between your fingers. It will hurt you just as bad. Go with a tactical pen, roll of quarters or even a small edc flashlight. They keys will hurt you. If you don’t believe me then try it on something around your house you don’t mind damaging.

1 Like

To be used effectively you really need a large keyring and use only one key.

:+1: to the tactical pen.

1 Like

You’re right, it’s going to hurt as a punch. You got me thinking about how we trained with the keys and it was more of a slashing motion. The nice think about the keys is that teenagers have them readily and legally available.

I think my kids are all getting tactical pens for their birthday or Christmas this year.

3 Likes

Not legal in MO … also can’t manufacture them.

Apache_revolver%20(1)
Brass knuckle convos always makes me go straight to the Apache revolver. This just needs to be in my life! :star_struck:

3 Likes

Brass knucks a felony in CA.

2 Likes

Kentucky allows carrying concealed deadly weapons. Here is the list of what Kentucky considers a deadly weapon. There is nothing that limits carrying any concealed deadly weapon in the licensing statute or the criminal Firearms and Deadly Weapons statute. This allows all arms, not just firearms!

KRS 500.080 Definitions
(4) “Deadly weapon” means any of the following:
(a) A weapon of mass destruction;
(b) Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or other serious physical injury, may be discharged;
© Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife;
(d) Billy, nightstick, or club;
(e) Blackjack or slapjack;
(f) Nunchaku karate sticks;
(g) Shuriken or death star; or
(h) Artificial knuckles made from metal, plastic, or other similar hard material;

1 Like

God bless Texas. image

1 Like

that means these:
image or these? image
I’m not much on outlawing things that can be used for self defense, but I’m thinking that latter one … yeah, maybe I’m ok with restricting that. :laughing:

2 Likes

Definitely the latter! So only the government should have Death Stars? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

@MikeBKY… noooo… didn’t say WHO I thought should be restricted there… Definitely the government should be :laughing:
But I might not really want my neighbor keeping one in his yard either :wink: Just think of the damage it would do to the fencing :laughing:

1 Like

Hi - I’m getting mixed answers around Brass Knuckles in Wisconsin. With a Wisconsin CCL, is it legal to carry or not? Should I ask local Law Enforcement or check with an attorney. Some websites say it’s legal with a permit and other do not. Thanks.

Here is my non-lawyer’s take on the issue in this thread:
Adding any tool to a physical fight, whether purpose-built or not, can make your effort elevate from (simple) force to deadly force. That tool could be a heavy boot used to kick a head, a skateboard, a knife, or brass knuckles.
If a person is faced with a simple force threat (e.g. a fist fight) and introduces the tool without justification that elevates the response to deadly force, and you are about to have a big problem with the law.
Given the purpose built status of brass knuckles, their use is very likely to be considered deadly force in every circumstance, so if you use them you best be able to clearly explain how you were defending against a deadly force threat.

As to the legality of carry, you really have to check the law in each state. This thread opens with a change to Texas law. Having had a Virginia Concealed Handgun Carry License (CHCL) for many years, I can tell you that Virginia law explicitly says it is not a concealed weapons license, but only for the carry of handguns. Concealed carry of brass knuckles, nun-chuks, throwing stars, etc. remains illegal in Virginia, with or without a CHCL.

1 Like