Bluetooth hearing protection?

After all of the great feedback from the ear protection thread here, I finally decided on getting the Walker’s Xcel100. They have bluetooth! I wasn’t sure if that would be a good thing on the range or not. My thinking was when I travel and need my ear protection, I can use these on the plane with my phone to listen to music.

Having never had electronic ear protection, I thought I had broken them when I could actually hear the conversations around me on the range. :rofl: I did try listening to music at the range last weekend. I kinda liked it. It helped tune out everything around me.

Here’s some more information about them:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/gear-we-love-july-2019/

What are your thoughts about listening to music through Bluetooth headphones on the range?

5 Likes

If I was alone. Rock out and add a level of relaxation to your already good time.

Other people around I’d be a little leary, but as long as you could hear a cease fire called out I don’t see anything wrong with it.

2 Likes

Oooo think of the training possibilities. Download some range instructions, or background gun fire. Add a level of realism to personal training. I’m being serious. We train our muscles to be reflex reactive, what about our senses. Trying to focus on a target, while gunshots and screams are going on. Maybe I’m being morbid.

7 Likes

A few months back I purchased the XCEL 500BT from Amazon and have been very happy with them. I occasionally listen to music when I practice but mainly wanted them so I could hear the beeps from my MantisX training system.

So far very pleased with the earmuffs.

3 Likes

I personally enjoy sound of fired rounds :relieved:

4 Likes

I’ve had Walker Hunter’s for about 10 years and they still work great. I got these for the bt phone + MantisX tie in. I’ve been using the vocal feedback option. It’s nice to hear scoring without taking my eye off the prize.

If I was working in a shoot house, scenario training, I could certainly see a benefit in use of aural immersion.

4 Likes

I think you’re being AWESOME. I’ve thought about doing that, just hadn’t come up with a strategy for how to do it.

5 Likes

Ok, interesting premise for the formation of a production company… but, you know…

2 Likes

I may have already been thinking about something like this for USCCA ever since I got the headphones.

Walking students through the drill verbally, refreshing instructors on different drills as they prep for classes… Having @KevinM talk you through a should I shoot scenario… The possibilities are endless!

A podcast for training… hmmmm…

Does that sound like something interesting to anyone else here?

6 Likes

I can wear bluetooth headphones under my earmuffs. You have my attention. That is a very unique tool to be offered.

2 Likes

When I was training dressage (PhD’s for horses) I sometimes used an audio coaching track. Also sometimes just music to set a constant cadence. I’d certainly try it for shooting.

2 Likes

I’ve used the electronic noise cancelling for a while. I like the amplified ambient sound so I don’t miss any callouts at the range. I would also hear people moving around me easier so I can avoid unpleasant surprises with bad accidental outcomes like untrained people bumping into me. Bluetooth sounds like a great addition. I think prerecorded drills and scenarios would be a great tool…downloadable.

3 Likes

Any particular model? I’d like to try these once, but need to find something good (within reasonable price)

2 Likes

I forget the brand. Just plain Jane off the shelf. Just look for the best protection; it has a number rating. A sports store can help with that. I remember reading that users were liking the Walkers somewhat better than mine. Id probably go for them on my next pair.
Be careful, it’s easy to confuse with the passive ear muffs on the shelf. Make sure you see evidence of electronics.
I don’t have Bluetooth. I will though.

2 Likes

Not morbid! I think the more realistic the training the better the training

5 Likes

I have a pair of electronic ear muffs I bought on sale at Rural King for less than $20. They work beautifully and have great battery life. They don’t have bluetooth, but there is an audio jack so I can wire-connect my phone or mp3 player.

They’re Caldwell brand.

3 Likes

Howard Leight phones. My old ones. They work great, but I have to work them down to seal well. I’ve read the Walkers do better.

1 Like

There are some electronic now with 30 or more NRdb. There was no description of the NRR for these, but the more expensive Walkers stated they were 26 NRdb. My standard, non-electric, are 34 NRdb, and I just got my daughter ones that are supposed to be 37 NRdb. She said they are very quiet. I still also wear earplugs with my ear muffs.

Bluetooth. :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:
But I agree not with others on the line.
Scenarios and coaching…sounds promising

When I am at range by myself, I listen to music quite a bit. Being a member I get their either before everyone else or after everyone has left, so I usually have the line to myself. I find uptempo music helps me concentrate better and I’m not as tired.

My body just isn’t what it used to be. So I have severe back pain when I’m at range to long. So the music lets me focus on something other than I hurt.