Blue on back of carry ammo?

I just bought my second box of Federal HST 124gr. I took a break from carrying and I’ve had my other carry ammo for about 3 years. So I bought more Federal HST because I know it feeds well, but there is what look likes blue paint on the primer.

Is this a sealant? Did they change something? Should I be concerned?

Pics?

I can’t recall ever seeing anything but shiny brass/nickel on the case

1 Like

Ammo companies often add a colored sealer to the primers if they are part of or attempting to acquire a government contract. A few decades ago WCC had a run of civilian 300WM with red primer sealer after they got the Gov’t contract for A191. Others have happened over time.

Fear not and know you are on par with the best our tax dollars can buy.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Thank you! I feel much better!

1 Like

The FC headstamp and sloppy sealant reminds me of the experimental FC 300WM ammo I got from DARPA with a 220gr BTHP to replace the A191 with the 190gr BTHP. Looked just like that but bigger. The thing about ammo mfg’s is that they do things in stages and not always by their own hand. Mfg a million XYZ cases, Prime a million XYZ cases and ship them to the powder and assembly plant. If a mil or other contract happened to be in the middle of a run then you end up with mil spec sealed primers in your off the shelf ammo. No harm, no foul to you but if they get it backwards Uncle gets a bit upset with them.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

That’s really interesting.

This just bothered me because I want consistency when I carry. This was different than the rounds before.

I just got a box of the same rounds with the blue (I think it is layout fluid) on the bottom. I am not super concerned about it.

Just a follow up, I emailed them the other day inquiring about it (I also received a faulty round). They informed me that is just primer sealant and nothing to worry about.

I believed you all, but I’m OCD about my carry set up. I wanted to hear it from them.

@Scoutbob Good that they got with you to dispel any misgivings. I would look at it as you have been given NO SH!t for real Bunker Ammo that will last forever as part of a MILSPEC project.

FWIW Primer sealant has virtually NO impact on the effectiveness or veracity of the round.

When the U.S. Gov’t drops a contract for 100 million rounds of ammo in lets say 5.56 ammo there is a certain weather resistance that is required. For a 100 million rounds they will “crimp” them all. For a smaller contract of say 100 THOUSAND rounds of .357 Sig or 300 WM they will "“glue” the primers to seal them. It is simply a matter of economics and mechanical efficiency

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like