Best Unarmed Defense Against a Gun Grabber?

I’ve actually seen those Fanny Packs advertised and if you are into them they look like a good option. I actually have a Sidekick Sling Bag that can double as a CCW Carrier. Something similar to the one below.

3 Likes

So would you consider a fanny pack, Sidekick Sling Bag or a Ukoala bag like the one below as off body carrying? Would love your feedback here:

1 Like

Back when fanny packs were popular for the general public, I wore a DeSantis fanny pack regularly with either my duty weapon or off duty weapon in it. It was great for the gym or summer days when wearing athletic shorts and a t-shirt, but then when most people stopped carrying fanny packs, it started to scream, “CONCEALED WEAPON.”

I still have it and have started to consider using it at the gym again. I wouldn’t consider a fanny pack as off body carry any more than I do my shoulder holster, but that is just my opinion.

3 Likes

The first and most essential thing to do is consider this possibility when choosing your holster

Gun snatches are exceedingly rare and a decent retention holster of any kind will stop most of them flat.

Next consider your environment and risk factors when deciding between open and concealed carry. A properly concealed firearm is not going to be snatched because no one is going to know you have it unless the necessity to use it arises.

Finally you need some hands on training in weapons retention.

Your first objective is to deter if possible anyone from getting a hand on your handgun.

If they are successful in doing so your next objective is to dominate the fight. First and foremost you want to dominate the firearm which in almost all cases requires you getting two hands on it.

You must get control of it if you’ve lost control or prevent the bad guy from gaining control by whatever means necessary. If you can control their wrist and/or thumb you can both deter and dominate the fight for the gun.

You must consider the environment as well. If you’re in a crowded area can you battle for the firearm once the bad guy controls it without risking an AD that could injure or kill an innocent? If not you may have to simply resign yourself to the bad guy getting away with your gun.

It’s hard enough to keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction during a dynamic critical incident in a crowded area, add the unpredictability and your inability to necessarily be able to control the trigger during the fight.

If you can’t dominate the gun, dominate the hand, wrist, or arm that has control of it. There are many wrestling and martial arts techniques for doing this and I’d suggest finding a competent certified instructor to get at least some basic training.

Best Defense, Active Self Protection, and many other good sources exist online and particularly on youtube but until you have physically practiced these techniques over and over so that they become all but automatic you simply will not be prepared to fight for a gun and luck is not a strategy you want to rely on.

If you are lucky enough to get control of or keep control of the firearm your last step is to dominate and get the attacker under control or barring that to extricate yourself from the encounter completely and dial 911.

3 Likes

There are numerous real advantages to the sling type bags over the fanny pack designs first and foremost ease and speed of draw in any situation or position.

2 Likes

@KevinM - Had a thought regarding your comment about Dave Young’s weapons retention training… this material might make for a great USCCA training DVD, as not everyone (well, at least me) can afford a trip across the country to take his course. May I humbly request that this be looked at as a possibility for a future training DVD? (INSERT PLEADING PUPPY DOG EYES HERE)

4 Likes

@Dawn… can you carry this for us :smiley:

3 Likes

I’ve sent the suggestion to the appropriate people here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Don’t forget the pleading puppy dog eyes!!!

Thanks Dawn!!! And @Zee - thank you too!

3 Likes

You’re welcome @Michael
The pleading puppy eyes… nooOOOOoooo! Not that! Anything but that! :smiley: :heart_eyes: :open_mouth: :dizzy_face: … here… whatever you want…

2 Likes

3 Likes

PERFECT!!! :rofl:

That’s the idea!!! How can they resist The Power Of The Puppy? MWAHAHAHAHA!!! :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I carry concealed but, I have trained extensively on drawing with one hand, and cutting with my left hand knife. I love Kerambits, because you get a good circular cut with very little wrist torque.

1 Like

Nice read here guys. I prefer concealed even though I can open carry anywhere around here. I happen to be comfortable and well practiced using an Axis Elite AIWB. It is very easy to defend against a gun grab at 12:30, especially with a shirt over it. The control and speed for me is beyond amazing and one hand deployment for CQB is paramount for my training needs. Gun grabbing and 4 O’clock has always scared the crap out of me because I am blind to a person behind me in line. Situational awareness, and I try hard, does not afford me eyes in the back of my head.

1 Like

On occasion I find myself volunteering as an emergency communications person (ham) at marathons and similar events. When I wear a reflective yellow vest and hat, I add a fanny pack that has a water bottle on each side of a small zipper compartment, it all looks perfectly normal. The .357 snub nose revolver and a couple of speed loaders fit with room to spare.

BTW, I was just listening to a Guns Magazine podcast about Summer Concealment issues and the Hill People brand came up in conversation re chest holsters and harnesses. Overly complicated for my taste. Seems to be aimed more at hunters/hikers/cyclists. Very rugged gear but kind of pricy IMO.

I WAS gonna say a throat punch…

If you are open carrying you are a target. Can’t make it any simpler than that. If I am suddenly in need of your gun, your government has trained me in the most effective ways to get it from you with minimal risk to myself although quite terminal results for you. If you can’t think of 5 ways to take a gun from an unaware individual in 5 seconds you aren’t thinking . At best I will leave you wondering what train hit you at worst you will wake up dead.

If you open carry a level 2 -3 retention holster is a must.

Open carry is only a deterrent to someone who is intimidated by the fact that you have a gun.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes