Basic Pistol Course

You can check it out, and let me know what you think. Direct Impact Firearms Training, LLC. Search for that. I think it’s a USCCA and NRA basic pistol course.

1 Like

Thank you all for your input!!! Take care!

1 Like

I would agree with that on any topic. Just because you’re good at something doesn’t mean you can break it down for others to learn from.

I think you’re actually saying the same thing, @Zee and @Wildrose. They should be a good shooter, but it really matters how they convey the information to the students in a way they understand.

2 Likes

I completely understand, and I will let yinz know how it goes, and keep you, Dawn, and Community posted. I’m signed up - 1st class is June 21st - I believe! Thanks again for the great perspectives!!!

2 Likes

Yep. Of course they have to at least be at the high end of the competency scale to even get certified but beyond that is the program/s being taught and how well they can convey the information to the student such that the student is comfortable, understands/absorbs, and retains it.

2 Likes

http://directimpactfirearmstraining.com/#basic

Looks to me like it’s something they put together themselves.

Personally I think you’d be better off sticking to programs put together by the NRA and USCCA. The level of expertise, years of experience, and solid instructor training programs that goes into putting the courses together far exceeds what most other organizations can match.

1 Like

If you go down to courses, there are USCCA and NRA basic pistol courses. Just sayin.

1 Like

Ahh, then I"d suggest starting with the NRA basic pistol class. It is very basic but it’s the foundation you need going forward.

2 Likes

I will do that sir. Thank you Mr. Rose!!!

2 Likes

I’m new here,but aside from saftey,quality training etc. I would seek two types of training. The normal NRA style training,and if you can find a range with quality instructors from bud’s /seals or spec ops or high level marine recon units etc. I would ask for one on one class and range time. The primary difference is NRA training is defensive,the other training is aggressive. There are some actions in the other tradining that can save your life because they go against our normal mental thoughts,such as going to a shooter while putting rounds down range,when they expect you to run or cower. Etc. It may be an off the side conversation and contains a certain maturity and responsibility in the request and handling of the training but every advantage helps. Like understanding that the avg criminal ,untrained fires low left,so where do you want to adjust to after putting rounds down range. Or the avg distance for an assault and the time it takes to cover twenty one feet,less than two seconds ,that goes to situational awareness. If you do it all well,you may never need to draw and life is training. Ps don’t forget you need to render aid after an incident,do you keep tampons,(wwi bullet holes plugging technique,the original use for tampons), a tourniquet,or other materials nearby? Ask and absorb,take what’s good and improve. All the best.

3 Likes

Welcome to the USCCA Community Richard! Thanks for your input. I am 42 years old, but I am like a sponge, taking all this in! I want to be the best me, and right now, I’m not even close!!! I reside just east of Pittsburgh, PA. Are you an instructor or can you refer me to someone? Thanks again Doc!!!

2 Likes

I’ve taken training classes in the past with NRA instructors, Pincus CFS affiliated instructors, and Suarez affiliated instructors, and some local guys who had recieved their training through these and other means…learned something from all of them…now its been awhile and I’m going to look into taking some more in the near future as we have a good variety of instructors/courses here in Iowa.
I’m going to be rusty but the basics are still there.

3 Likes

@FlashBack351 what training do you want to do next?

1 Like

I’ll start out again with a Defensive Handgun 101 type of class for the handgun and something similar for the AR rifle…need to really brush up on the AR platform again.
And a course with Massad Ayoob is on my bucket list too.

2 Likes

The USCCA Concealed Carry and Home Defense Fundamentals class also breaks down the basics and also give the students more info on situational awareness and conflict avoidance.

4 Likes

Thanks Mark, and welcome to the Community.

3 Likes

No argument from me at all. I just think for the complete novice shooter the NRA Basic course is probably a better first step. In the CC/HD course I’d rather have students that have at least a basic familiarity with their handgun, basic safety practices etc.

I’m real big on “baby steps” for new shooters.

2 Likes

Thanks Mark, will do.

1 Like

That’s exactly right, baby steps!

1 Like

I can agree to “baby steps” for people but I feel that teaching someone to be more aware of their surroundings, avoiding confrontation, and the consequences of their actions should happen before you get into learning the basics of firearms. The number one rule of winning a gun fight is to never be in the gun fight to begin with.

2 Likes