Basic Carry Laws: Illinois | CCW Permitting | USCCA

Carrying a firearm for self-defense comes with a lot of responsibility. Knowing the laws where you carry is just one important task you must undertake as an armed American. To help with that, we will be providing you with a summary of basic carry laws for several states. Learn about the most important things to know when carrying in the Land of Lincoln below.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/basic-carry-laws-illinois/
1 Like

Thanks for the clarification of a non-resident being outside and near the vehicle. I don’t agree with it, of course. You’d think a valid CPL holder could stop at a gas station and pump gas without having to put the firearm away first! Technically, with the pay-at-the-pumps available today, you would be near your vehicle during the whole transaction and be on your way, without anyone knowing any better. YMMV

Edited to fix acronym.

1 Like

it sure appears to me that the Supreme Court case gained us limited reciprocity. I live at the corner of WI & IL and can admit that i’ve had several arguments with IL cops about this, so i carry a copy of the below IL code in my truck.
Would love to hear input on the subject.

(430 ILCS 66/40)
Sec. 40. Non-resident license applications. (a) For the purposes of this Section, "non-resident" means a person who has not resided within this State for more than 30 days and resides in another state or territory.

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident: (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law; (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public underthe laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act. ``
(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13; 99-78, eff. 7-20-15.)