Bad Day at the Range

@Mike164 .
I’ve been reviewing articles at USCCA App and found this one interesting.
It’s worth to read it and apply to your practice. Perhaps it helps…

Checkout this:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/the-simple-things-are-tough-grasping-trigger-control/

5 Likes

Hello. Personally, whenever I shoot any compact or sub compact pistol and find myself shooting low (especially low and to the left), it has almost always turned out to be a problem with my grip. Smaller handguns make for larger mistakes. They are especially unforgiving of seemingly minor changes.

I find that if I readjust my grip so that the crook between my thumb and index finger is locked tightly into the beaver tail of the pistol, even using my non-shooting hand to help pull it in tight, my aim improves dramatically.

It might work for you and others with this issue. It’s worth a try and I hope it helps.

5 Likes

I gotta find me an instructor her in Salt Lake City. Someone to watch what I’m doing and make correction. Any USCCA Instructors around here, SLC? PM me.

3 Likes

But a bad day at the range is better than a good day in most places.

5 Likes

:+1:
… but sometimes I prefer go for a good food or drink… :wink:

2 Likes

I know I’m not the smartest guy in this subject area, but I noticed you only had 1 magazine full of holes. I always take a .22 pistol so I can shoot till I’m ready, then I pull out my “normal carry guns.” Saves money, and still get lots of practice with firming up my wrist and grip, even if have to adjust grip angle. By the way, I intentionally shoot doubles, and if I don’t pause between pairs, I get the same result. I agree with the guy who pointed out that your pattern is pretty good unless you’re trying to shoot the gun out of someone’s hand, cigarette out of the mouth, or some other crazy scenario.

3 Likes

Use Dry Fire exercises and purchase a training aid like Mantis X3 which will help show you what you are doing that is less than perfect. This isn’t a substitute for range time but it will give you a solid foundation and will save you money and time when you do go to the range.
Mantis X#

2 Likes

Looks very interesting, the one thing I can’t figure out is, do I need to purchase target from them as well?

2 Likes

I’m a relatively new shooter compared to the people on this site with years of experience. A bad day at the range is frustrating especially if I cant figure out what it is I’m doing wrong. I tend to shoot low left because of some weakness in my non-dominant hand. However, this video helped me understand proper grip better. I was probably griping my right hand too much therefore making pistol tend to the left. I haven’t shot in a month either but I’m going this weekend. That being said, we’ll see how it goes. BUT I stop the threat one way or another and that is the goal of defensive shooting. I remind myself of that. And as many have said, a bad day at the range beats most other days. I humbly submit my thoughts on the matter and appreciate feedback! Thanks!

5 Likes

Try the Present, Touch, Press drill.1) From the high ready position Present your firearm by extending your weapon towards the target, acquiring your front sight along the way. 2) When fully extended apply your trigger finger gently to the trigger face. Hold that position for 1 - 2 seconds before 3) Pressing the trigger smoothly straight to the rear. After firing remove your finger from the trigger and return to the higb ready. Repeat. With patience this will teach you to stop slapping the trigger. Bonus: this is also a good drill when learning point shooting.

4 Likes

NO!!! All you have to do is to hand a target across your garage, or sit at your desk and pick something across the room that you can consistently aim at as a target.
The unit synchs with your iPhone or Android phone and gives you detailed feedback

3 Likes

OK, It’s on it’s way. I can’t wait to try it.

2 Likes

Did you buy it? How do you like it?

3 Likes

I was shooting my S&W MP22 when my shots were off. The end of the of the barrel is threaded with a cap which worked loose, Once I made the cap tight my shooting was back the way it was. I just brought a Glock44 and I did not realize it had adjustable sights. It was off, new from the factory, took me a while to sight it in,

2 Likes

Loving it, just getting used to the drills and stuff. I dry fires 250 today with my .380. It’s very interesting, how consistently inconsistent I am.

2 Likes

Good to hear. Look at how much money you’ve saved on ammo. Additionally, you are seeing in the APP the your hand movement and finger press are something you need to control. Muscle memory can be trained. It has improved my shooting a lot.

3 Likes