Are you able to shoot on your property?

There are a number of people in the Community who have the luxury of having a place to shoot on their property (a “home range” so-to-speak) so they don’t have to go to a range to train! I know a LOT of us would love to be able to do that in the future.

What makes your “home range” safe & effective?

2 Likes

Legally yes, safely no

3 Likes

I did once for 1.5 years in my early 20’s. I didnt appreciate then like I would now.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I live in the city limits and we are not allowed for obvious reasons. My wife reminds me about it virtually everyday…

2 Likes

I wish I had the space to shoot on my property. My former inlaws have that ability, however, they rarely take advantage of it. :frowning:

1 Like

I have a hill we call lead hill. 75 yards of flat leading up to the hill.

I still go to the gun club most of the time for these reasons (and more):

• brass cleanup is easier on concrete than grass
  • we have everything from 7 yards to 210 yards plus 3 trap ranges at the club
  • target stands and bench rests are always setup at the club (at home I have to get everything out and put ti away afterwards)
  • the friendships at the club
  • club is only 30 minutes from home
1 Like

Only Iguanas , in our Florida community , but can only use pellet guns ( .177 pellets ).

Best,

Patrick

1 Like

We cannot shoot on the property we live on but we own about 12 acres a little over an hour away and we can shoot there anytime and anything we want, as long as it is in a safe Direction.

1 Like

Right off our porch if we wanted to. :blush:
We live in a bunker, more or less… an in ground house. Right opposite our porch is a hillside going up to the pasture… perfect backstop for shooting.
We can set up to about 20 yards, I’d guess, but usually shoot at shorter distances.

The shooting area is our dirt drive and parking area, and it can be muddy. In the winter it can be cold. Its Missouri so we get rain. Basically, its outside.
But we can put whatever we want in the fridge, and the facilities are close by. Plus it’s never crowded.

We have some areas where we could set up longer range targets, but we have to do some fencing and infrastructure work first.

1 Like

One day. I have friends that have ranges set up and every time I go I get jealous, lol.
I start picturing short range long range, plinking steel, paper, wood etc. the whole set up.
Then I’m back at my first words “one day”.
For now though it’s range, friends.

2 Likes

I definitely can and do utilize a backyard range on our property, so do our neighbors. We just have to watch for airplanes landing and taking off since the long rifle range is also a registered airstrip!

2 Likes

I have 20 acres with most of it wooded that goes back almost 1/4 mile. I could shoot here, with all the trees, I doubt there would be any stray rounds hitting the neighbor’s farm behind me. But, there’s always a chance, so until I build up a backdrop of dirt, I’ll stick with going to a range. The liability of hitting someone is too great. You never know, I might miss all the trees along the way.

2 Likes

I can shoot right off my back porch

2 Likes

I am able to but the neighbors and law enforcement would not much like it (I live in town).

2 Likes

Especially in the area you live in, @DBrogue! :slight_smile:

1 Like