Ar-15 is not a military weapon

I spent 20 years in the Army. Not in Infantry or Special Forces, but I did fire my share of the M-16. The original M-16 with full auto mode tended to jam a lot from my limited experience. The A2 version (and the M4) had 3 round burst mode which was a bit better. Most the firing I did was in semi-auto mode, which is same as the AR-15. If I had to go to war tomorrow, I would rather have the civilian AR-15 in my safe than some random M-16 out of an arms room. Not that those M-16s are bad, but I know that my AR-15 is well maintained and set up for me.

11 Likes

Congratulations, all of you, are ready for what is coming next!!!

4 Likes

What about the 30-06 or 50 caliber? What about the A-10 Warthog?

6 Likes
5 Likes

You cannot use rational talk to convince a patient, suffering from medical grade arachnophobia, that these little spiders are OK. This calls for a licensed therapist, for medication possibly. Hoplophobia may be the same thing.

8 Likes

Any AR type rifle can do 99.99999999999999999% of what a “military” equivalent configured rifle can do or is called to do in battle. The full auto capability is actually quite limited in scope of deployment only called upon in suppression roles. The happy switch is an ammo wasting proposition in the hands of the untrained.

11 Likes

Those AK-47s in kids’ hands :eyes: don’t have the bling that privately owned ARs are equipped with.

5 Likes

A lone infantry soldiers with M4 or M16 does not occur in military scenarios, a rifle squad does. A squad uses its rifles to restrict mobility of enemy squad, so that artillery and air support can destroy it. The power of the “black rifle”, either full or semi-auto, has been somewhat exaggerated.

5 Likes

I have a relative who was deployed to Iraq. He said they were expressly told not to use the full auto or burst modes, as they would go through ammo too quickly and possibly run out. My understanding was that only certain close quarters units were encouraged to use the “non-civilian” settings. Everyone else may have received training with them, but generally stuck to using them as a semi-auto rifle. In the vast majority of situations, that proved to be the most useful.

6 Likes

TRUTH! Ben
The full auto (in my experiences) was rarely used.
Not only was it a waste of ammo your fire team loses that ‘support’ when the rifle needs a mag change. You lose that fire power and makes his/her area of responsibility vulnerable during that change.
Granted that is a scant seconds but that is a window of opportunity to breach your defenses.
‘Sprayin’ and Prayin’ is for the movies. Aimed shots and (3) round bursts will win the fight.
Even (3) round bursts make it harder to re sight in after said bursts. Aimed single shots are more accurate and deadly it’s also demoralizing to the enemy when there is a constant flow of lead down range and they see their brethren fall . It was one of the reason’s soldiers were successful against the un-trained who mag dumped and when empty in the middle of a shoot they stopped charging and stood there changing mags, Bang Bang they were dead. Thank you very much for being stoopid!
Now I may be full of shite but I am still here. THAT is a badge I wear proudly.

Leave the Mag Dumpin’ for the Range. It’s a hell of a lot of fun!

11 Likes

personally I took aimed shots more than 3 round burst and if a burst was needed I would just pull the trigger 3 times. makes for much more accurate shots while the enemy spray and prays.

8 Likes

Exactly! Almost Every weapon can be as fast as your index finger is strong.
And you will be more accurate than a (3) round burst built into the weapon.
A (3) rounder goes into one target (usually) a self made 3 round can go anywhere you want.
Why waste 3 rounds on the same guy?
That’s why full auto is inadvisable. Punchin’ holes in Innocents behind them!

9 Likes

One of the very few scenarios where a full auto mag dump is called for. You’re walking in a column down an alleyway. All of a sudden BGs are at the end of the alley and shooting at you. Solution, first guy in the column goes full auto, does a mag dump spraying rounds down the alley as the second guy switches to full auto. As soon as first guy goes dry and gets out of the way guy two starts his full auto dump while guy one is running back while reloading and covering the retreat, second guy gets out of the way turns and retreats while reloading while guy three does a mag dump, and so on until everyone is out, giving bad guys no reason to try to enter that alley again…

Works on other types of retreats from a shitty position but that one is a classic. But the chances of a civilian encountering this scenario OR walking around with a group of his buddies that knows and has trained for this is less than zero%.

9 Likes

Welllll…almost speechless…ALMOST! :crazy_face:
If THAT happened in America?
I say screw this!
We all throw ‘Frag’s’ down the Alley
while my sister behind us in our Jaguar launches Mortars to
cover our beat feet! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7 Likes

Many politicians don’t care about symantics. Heck, many even think there are more than two genders. They lie with words and intentions. Never forget that.

9 Likes

Frags are a LITTLE harder to come by than 30 round mags :rofl:

7 Likes

Maybe, but NOT Impossible… :crazy_face:
Now Mortars can take a wee-bit longer…

WWG1WGA

4 Likes

Yep! Suppression is the key word for sure. Full auto was easy when Uncle Sam was supplying the ammo for training. Ammo prices even prior to this COVID mess. Dont think I could affod that type of shooting :us:

6 Likes

The Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 are military weapons. They have type numbers.

5 Likes

Brother, If I am going to NEED ‘Fire Suppression’ walking in a column w/ Brothers again and confronted by a tough and determined enemy and THEN have to use that suppression to Tactically Retreat I AM NOT GOING TO BE CONCERNED WITH HOW MUCH AMMO COSTS!
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I am going to be slinging lead down range and fighting like I am the third monkey getting my place on the ARK!
(I almost wrote TITANIC!)

7 Likes