Anyone have information on agility dog training?

Our new Shiloh puppy is a speed demon , who like to balance on bricks, and explore. I saw there are agility classes in Green Bay, but always nice to discuss this with people who are familiar with it. Nancy8.

2 Likes

YouTube should be able to get you started.

1 Like

I’ve done Search and Rescue, Therapy, K-9, Canine Good Citizen. I’m not a huge fan of smaller dogs but have used some agility training. So I may not know the whole song but I can hum a few bars.

Shiloh is the right type of breed and energy level of dog if I am remembering correctly. There are lots of different types of agility training. Are you wanting to do speed agility, multi level, tunneling, fetch agility, all of the above. If Shiloh is super high energy, first few times get her worn out a bit so she is focused on you and treats and not just flipping out from joy.

Start at slow speeds always praise never anything but praise and reward you want her to do this on her own because it’s fun.

Start at basic obedience, then Canine Good Citizen then pick what type of agility you want. Now is a great time to start while she is still young. Probably start in an enclosed area so you can teach her to heel on leash then off leash. Teach her that when you move she moves. You stop , she stops. Usually want her to sit at left leg. When you let her off leash train her to “post” when called basically means come from wherever and sit at your leg.

Once you can trust her off leash, use leash as a tool for teaching her what you are wanting to learn.

1 Like

@MarkC had a dog trainer in Green Bay, but that was more behavioral I think. I’ll ask him and let you know. Trainers usually know other trainers, right?

1 Like

Thank you.

We took Archie to Jeremy Majors in Green Bay.

2 Likes

Nancy says thanks. :+1:

I used to know a bunch of people in the GB area involved in Agility. I’ve been away from that for quite a while but I could ask around to get a name or two. Might be this weekend before I get a chance…

1 Like