Another Winter from Hell 2022?

The winter of 2020 was average here in East Central WI. and the U.P. of MI. but it would seem our Brothers and Sisters in the South may be hit again. Is anyone else watching this?
For warned is For armed!

How are y’all doing from Texas and East to Florida? Is anyone preparing for this or has the Gubment agency’s rectified all the short comings from 2020?

5 Likes

I don’t put much stock in what people are calling “science” these days; I think I’d have more luck monitoring a pan of bear grease and quicksilver while checking the condition of the neighbor’s arthritic knees. What I do advise (like in the video) is the purchase of a generator and the installation of a decent transfer switch box (I suggest Reliance Controls, as I’m from WI and they’re out of my state and make a great quality product). For a generator, I wouldn’t go under 6k watts. That’ll power your water heater, lights, fridge, and some space heaters, which are usually enough to keep your pipes from freezing. The power went out here recently for 2 days. My neighborhood was dark, except 1 house: mine. I talked to my neighbor and she said they were going to get a generator some day…that’s not the way to go as you should plan to purchase it and not just purchase it when you have the spare cash, which won’t usually ever happen. True, most of the time it sits in the garage, but when you need it, it’s amazing. I’ve used mine 6x this year so far due to power outages.

4 Likes

I’ve been kicking around what to buy. After careful considerations and home limitation and what happened to our natural gas supply last Texas winter Zim opting for a large 10kW+ dual fuel with an electric start. I’d like a whole house generator but recognize issues there as well. Our neighborhood has lost power many times due to transformers blowing up, falling trees, rolling blackouts, etc. fortunately our freezer was not full on the multiple day outages. I’ve lived in the country during an ice freeze in the 1970s in Louisiana with no electricity for 3 weeks. Natural gas kept us warm, lit and fed. Fireplaces are a must.

5 Likes

I have the cash and am considering a large propane heater to put in the kitchen with a 500 gal. tank before winter, we have everything else. :+1:

3 Likes

We decided to sell our home and buy a 2 bedroom 5th wheel so we can live where ever it isn’t going to be cold this year.
Found the RV and dually, just need to sell the house😀

8 Likes

Good on you. Sounds like an adventure in the making. Good luck. :us:

4 Likes

Thank you, we are looking forward to it.

4 Likes

I am in the SW instead of the SE but at over 7000’ the winters can be cold and snowy. We have a wood stove for heat and a forest full of trees so power outages aren’t a big deal but I do need to pick up an inexpensive generator to keep the freezer and fridge cold in case of a long term outage.

The infrastructure in most of this country is very old, rotting and cannot be relied on to work when you really need it to.

4 Likes

It tends to be a bit more expensive up front but take a look at solar generators as well. It seems to be a great option that is silent and safe to run indoors. Plus you don’t have to worry about having fuel. There are quite a few companies but Goal Zero is a great one to check out for sure!

4 Likes

Just thought I’d mention, that I heard that many people in Texas had pipes freeze and burst during the last cold snap/electrical failure. Although outages can reduce your living standards temporarily, a burst pipe and flooded home can cause considerable damage with signficant repair times.

I might look into options that included keeping some of your pipes at a decent temperature, and even remembering to let the water “drip” from the faucets to reduce chances of freezing during a freezing, winter outage. I don’t know how cold it might get down south, but propane doesn’t store well in the cold, and at -44F is too cold to fire.

When my friend had to keep his mother’s medical equipment running years ago during a winter power outage, he used Honda generators (gas - the type that goes in your car) and has sworn by them ever since.

2 Likes

In Texas, after the ten year freeze that killed about 150 people, the governor promised action. The legislation had no teeth, because the energy industry owns the politicians. So, if we have another hard blue norther, the grid will fail, again, and kill some more folks, but profits won’t suffer.

3 Likes

Thanks’, that is what I was wondering, we are on our own. We found that out here when we had flooding, the city had no resources to help. My next door neighbor lost two feet up of his entire basement and contents. :angry:

2 Likes

Bring it. Cross country skiing has been lacking the last few years.

1 Like

Bring it on! If the power was to be down more than 24 hours, a large group of us will be gathered at some family property. Between the RV’s, the cabin, and the winter ready outdoor gear some of the group have, we can warmly house about 40 people. Since it would be winter, food storage won’t be an issue. Most of us know how to cook over an open fire. We could pioneer style it for weeks, if needed.

2 Likes

Sounds like a plan! Let’s hope you don’t need to implement it!

3 Likes

Good on you for having a plan. Has anyone been in the storm area the last couple of days?
Just got my large propane heater and 500 lbs. of propane. :+1: All set.

2 Likes

Yes. The cabin sees regular use all year long. Hunting, fishing, family bonfires. It has electricity, and a generator backup. Plenty of wild game, and a stocked private lake, that is fed by a natural stream.

3 Likes

Can I become your long lost cousin? :pleading_face:

4 Likes