Ammunition update from Federal, CCI, Speer and Remington

Geesh!!

If you only have 3K rounds on the shelf that’s just poor planning on your part. If you have the $$$$ to add 2K rounds then you have more disposable income than I do in current times. That said I bumped my primer, boolit and powder inventory 20% last January and haven’t felt the need to buy ammo since.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

or worse, you bought a 1000 primers but your not sure if you just can not find them or you already loaded them. Either way, need em’

3 Likes

Yes it will (no pliers required) and you might want to experiment with the concept just to find out what a magnum primer will do vs a standard primer in relation to pressure and velocity. Also handy is to find out what a rifle primer will do vs a pistol primer in a rifle or a pistol case. Tuck that info away for a future day. I did an experiment with 308 in military brass where I used the EXACT same powder charge and large pistol, magnum pistol, large rifle and magnum rifle. The results were not as dramatic as you might think. I’ve not tried rifle primers in pistol cartridges YET but a sedentary mind tends to wander and idle hands 

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Jason doesn’t say anything about what percentage of production goes to the government compared with amount available to the public. Would also like to know if the percentage amount has changed in the past few years?

1 Like

Thanks for posting, I hope this helps.

What what? I have to plan my life around what others may or may not have prepared for? I think not

Should I also limit my TP purchases? Water? Flour? What’s next??? (sounds like a kind of -ism government we don’t want in “merica” to me.)

Hey, man - do whatever you want. Buy 1000 rolls of TP, if that makes you feel more secure. I’m just pointing out that the ammo shortage is partially driven by some people going a bit overboard. There’s other reasons for it, too, of course, but they don’t invalidate my observation. I certainly didn’t argue for a limit on how much ammo anyone can buy. I was thinking of buying a few more boxes of bullets, but when I saw the prices, I thought, “Maybe I’ll hold off, until prices return to normal.” That was simply my choice; I don’t begrudge anyone else their choices.

Ha ha, we buy when it goes on sale and/or have coupons, but don’t hoard anything. The same with food, ammo, etc. It seems normal to us. I guess I don’t understand people who (so many entries here, on other forums, and chatter from other friends, etc.) seem surprised by the ammo shortage. I blind deaf duck should have seen this coming, no? Fool me once, shame on your. Fool me twice
 This isn’t the first ammo shortage in the recent past.

I get the feeling that folks looked up from their phone after they walked off the edge of the peer. A little hard to blame anyone else, no? So much of the discussions on this forum are about self preparedness and awareness, so this problem surprises me.

1 Like

Which federal is the cheapest and smallest?

do you suggest a particular firearm or ammunition manufacturer?

Thank you! Merry Christmas!

Another from Hornady.

1 Like

Merry Christmas!
I haven’t seen any cheap ammunition, or even reloading components in quite awhile,
Brand choice of ammunition is limited to what you can find, just like during the last ammo shortage.

If I had to, I could get by nicely with a single box (or two) of good defensive ammo, but finding enough range ammo to maintain proficiency is the problem. The ammo laws in CA are very bizarre so fortunately, many here can’t relate to my particular situation.
Handloading your own ammo, if you have the time, space, equipment, attention to detail and components will keep the wolf away from your ammo locker for a wee bit longer

1 Like

I love the idea of learning the specifics of handloading your own ammo. It is an investment. But, if it be your most liked hobby or practice for profession perhaps a good idea. How much do you think the whole set up would be to make your own bullets and are the parts to do so even accessable?
Thanks John

Thanks Brad!

Bottom line @Heather16 yes its a great activity and the savings are well worth the investment if it was done over time. Most of us old timers started reloading a long time ago and picked up parts and pieces here and there. Our initial out put was less painful than buying every thing at once.

Long story short
as you hinted at there are levels of commitment to taking on reloading. One can start pretty cheap with basic reloading equipment. You buy the components and put them together. Each part has a cost, and as you progress you incur more (up front) cost. This progression can be basic or advanced. Start reloading-$250; advanced reloading-$850 +. Bullet casting, start at $275; advanced $1200 +. Bullet moulds have jumped from $45 up to $110. And you can pretty much not even find anything available to purchase in-store or online.

1 Like

There are lots of ways to start this. You may want to visit castboolits.com as it is probably the best resource on the web, especially when it comes to bullet making.
As far as accumulating the hardware goes, you can go as cheap or expensive as you want.
I like hunting for used stuff at estate sales and swap meets,
To start you’ll want a scale, 6" calipers, press, dies, loading blocks, a powder measure, Lyman’s ABC’s of Reloading and some reloading manuals.
For straight walled cases, get carbide dies.

Casting bullets requires a bullet mold with handles, a crucible, a heat source, a slotted spoon, a ladle, a mallet to cut the sprue with, and a sizing die is nice.

I use a cast iron sauce pan for a crucible, an old Coleman propane camp stove for heat source with bricks and rebar to support the lead pot. To cut the sprue an old hammer handle works as a mallet.

Obviously there is a lot more to this, but I hope what I’ve posted gives you an idea. Remember though, melting lead, gunpowder and primers are dangerous----be careful!

2 Likes

We’re is it at it’s not on the shelf’s

1 Like

Thanks Jerry1,
Good to know
 so pick up as you go and hopefully the prices for parts a will lower again.
Historically speaking is ammunition related to the economy or the housing market with its ups and downs and if so how do they relate? Just curious
 so many factors with covid, unemployed, parts or labor needs not met or demands higher or lower?
But, I do know a good way to reflect on the future is to study the past.

1 Like

supposedly there aren’t enough employees for the manufactures to keep up with the increase in demand alongside the loss of employees due to covid

Hey John!
Wow a hold other avenue to dive into. I love it!
6" calipers for 9mm?
What are easy ways to recycle lead if possible?
What grade/kind/brand of gun powder do you suggest?
What is your opinion on this?
Lyman Brass Smith Victory Press | 19% Off w/ Free Shipping and Handling (opticsplanet.com)
If you had the Press and the Lymans powder disperse you would just need a bullet mold, die and scale? I wish there was someone around I could go see this
 may have to take a gunsmith class lol