Ammo in a house fire?

Once they want you to evacuate, I would treat it like I won’t have a house when I come back. Where I live we have been about a mile outside of evac more than once. Im soo done with these fires.

1 Like

Absolutely true.

1 Like

Far greater potential for harm from any high pressure gas container than from cooking off ammo.

1 Like

And no one has LP gas tanks for their BBQ? right?
Reminds me, at the beginning of the year I had 20 oxygen tanks at various sizes and stages of discharge in the house for someone who needed to use them when traveling or the in-home concentrator failed…

LoL flammable liquids anyone? … perfume library? 1/2 or 5/8th’s or larger natural gas lines to kitchen, fireplace?

off topic? not on our lives :slight_smile:

Been there, done that. Couple hundred rounds of .22LR in a dresser by the back door. Fortunately the fire didn’t get hot enough in that area to cook it. Lost the rest of the house for all practical purposes.

1 Like

Not an ideal scenario… I hope that never happens. But, and this is a true story, my uncle’s neighbor’s car caught fire & he had a handgun with extra magazines in the car at the time. He said it was crazy. (Pew pew pew for a few seconds) :worried:

Propane tanks come with a high pressure blow off valve to keep them from exploding due to over pressure.

Solid point though, they definitely do pose a risk to FF’s.

Thank you all for the posts. There was a small fire in my building a few days ago. No one was injured. Major kudos the the fire-fighters and police who did such a terrific job and were here amazingly quickly. Although my fears have been quelled about someone being shot from a bullet if there was a fire in my home, I now plan to save up for a large enough fire retardant safe. Much obliged. Adding to my smoke alarms and extinguishers.

1 Like

I happen to own several hundred 22lr that are smoke stained from being in a house fire. They were on a shelf below a tv that was melted to about 1\4 it’s original height. No damage to the rounds that I can see.

I have some experience with cook-offs while deployed. If in a chamber they come out like any other round. If loose, they lose a great deal of their power because the burning powder’s gas is not contain/channelized by the chamber and barrel. I can’t say they are harmless. But, they aren’t nearly as dangerous as one would think at first blush.