During a Catastrophe

In the event of an earthquake, fire, or having to evacuate your home for any reason, what do people do who own multiple firearms to secure them?

1 Like

Thought about it but never had the chance to employ any ideas… I do keep everything next to my gun safe… like cases and ammo boxes… and I can throw it out the window and load it in the car in a hurry… so there is that…

1 Like

One of my safes is the Winchester Pony-19, Great safe, it weighs about 400 pounds, good heavy duty construction and is fire proof for 1200*F for 30 minutes. Its a good addition if you have a few guns.

1 Like

That’s a great question, @Mike! I have my handguns in my small range bag in my safe. (I know, I need a larger collection so they don’t all fit in my range bag :blush: )

The timeframe (how long do you have to evacuate, how long is it estimated you’ll be gone, what else do you have to take with you?) will definitely dictate what you may be able to do.

I have my important paperwork in a folder in the safe as well. So if I’d ever have to evacuate (not something you usually hear about happening in WI), the order of what I’d grab is:

1. Kids - if they’re with me (they’re old enough to get out themselves and take their important docs)
  2. Pets
  3. Important paperwork & heirlooms - including the external hard drive with my kids’ pictures saved on it and both grandmothers wedding rings (they’re not worth a lot of $, but they mean the world to me)
  4. Range bag/guns

I’d leave the bulk of the extra ammo behind - a lot of weight for something that can be easily replaced. Same with the other replaceable items.

Again, it all depends on the situation.

2 Likes

Let me expound on this a bit. I have often wondered what I’d do it I had to leave my house.

An event occurs. You must evacuate your home. You toss your guns and ammo out the window, load it in your car or truck. Now what? Are they safe in your vehicle? Are they safe in a motel or hotel?

What I’m getting at is this. Not everyone has a cabin in the woods with a buried vault or root cellar. So what do you do? I don’t have an answer. I’m looking for possibilities if an event occurs.

1 Like

Normally I have a terminator style duffle bag, so if I ditch my house with all my kit, I put stuff in prepared hide spot in my vehicle and all essential back up stuff in my duffel… that way if I have to go in a hotel/motel… it looks like I have extra luggage…

1 Like

So more of what do you do when you’re evacuating and you’ve got your guns with you? A couple of options -

• Do you have some friends or family members who would be able to hold them for you in their safe?
  • How about a local gun club that may have space in a gun safe for rent?

I also like @Tankrachet86’s idea of the non-descript bag that could double as another piece of luggage. Depending on where you stay, some hotels have small in-room safes that you could fit a handgun or two in. Then you could keep any other guns in the bag and take it with you if you leave the hotel.

I’m very lucky, I could bring mine to work and any number of people would safely store them for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great ideas Dawn, but my answer to your two ideas are no and no.

I’ve been disabled for 21 years so no where to hide them at work either.

I’m not planning on going anywhere, but if I did I suppose a range bag would suffice unless I went with a piece of inconspicuous luggage or bag like my fellow member suggested

2 Likes

Well then, if you ever have to evacuate, you’ll have to come to Wisconsin. We’ll find a safe place to store your guns. :wink:

2 Likes

Rifle/shotgun cases are under the bed, gun case is next to the bed. I keep some ammo in a plastic ammo box, and there are several duffle bags near by. I’ll drop any handguns I’m not carrying in my USCCA range bag, and head out. Yes @Dawn, I have family that I could lock my guns in their safe if needed.

2 Likes

My plan with this in mind has always been a take what you can carry and save room for other things. I have a safe and secured storage and a big part of my decision for the USCCA wasn’t just legal insurance but they also have my firearms insured. I would take all of my handguns and two extra mags and holsters (easy to carry) my shotgun and my AR. All the easiest to carry and most useful. The rest I would pull the bolt carriers out and take them with and secure the rifles. At least if looters find them they won’t be readily operable. If they get destroyed (ie fire, flood, ect.) They are insured and replaceable. I would worry more about food, water, shelter. I take what we can fit but also think of means of what we can carry. With fires and floods you could be in traffic and get cut off. People in California went through it with the wild fires, where your best chance was abandon your car and walk. If that happens you need to carry more then just a lot of firearms (unless you have a small army to help you, this isn’t for you guys😉) but when the fires and mudslides hit back to back the displaced were having a hard time to find places to stay long term (hotels were booked solid within a reasonable distance, cost of rent went up with there being more demand then supply) so a decent tent can go a long way usually easy to carry in their own bag. 72 hours worth of food and water, to get you to a stabil place to wait out whatever.

2 Likes

We’ll my wife would have both 9mm’s… and I’d have both .45’s… my son is to the point where he could carry the .22’s… my wife would be behind me but confront if the kids, so she would also have my shotgun… I would be 50 y rds ahead scouting and have my AR… the hardest part for I’d,would be transporting my mom if we had to ditch our vehicle… since she is in a wheelchair

1 Like

In Oregon, earthquake is the only real danger for me, shelter in place is my plan but if I cant, I can pickup most all my gear and be portable.

I have an ultimate vehicle, it has solar, wind, tents, water, food, sleeping gear, on board heat and basic cooling, full bug out gear plus HAM radios, Sat TV, wifi, generator, lighting available ac and dc pure and modified sine wave.

Decommissioned ambulance.

2 Likes

Whoa, whoa, whoa; back up. I didn’t know USCCA insures our guns as well. For real…?

1 Like

The USCCA insures our guns??? That’s a new one on me. My homeowners insurance won’t even do that.

1 Like

Point of clarification: The USCCA does not insure firearms.

If you have a self-defense incident, your USCCA membership will assist you with your legal defense. If your firearm is confiscated (which it very well could be) and not returned during the investigation for your self-defense incident, part of your membership may help you replace the confiscated firearm.

Please check with your homeowners insurance for firearm insurance. A lot of homeowners/renters insurance will cover up to a certain level (not much when you look at the cost of firearms). You may want to get a rider on your insurance to cover anything above what your homeowners or renters insurance covers.

3 Likes

Thank you for confirming that. I didn’t think you insured firearms. At least I was right about something for once : )

1 Like

I’m sure you’re right more often than not, @Mike! I would suggest calling your insurance agent and finding out how much coverage you have for your firearms. Or look through your insurance paperwork and see if it lists a limit.

I know everyone on here already knows this, but it can’t be said too often. If one of your firearms is ever stolen, please report it to the police ASAP!

If you’re a USCCA member, please give us a call after you report it to the police. We will document it as well. Your USCCA membership will assist with the liability aspect if your stolen firearm is used in the commission of a crime - only if the theft of the firearm is promptly reported to the proper authorities upon discovery. (Love that legal speak :wink: ) You can find all of the details in your USCCA membership agreement on your dashboard.

1 Like

Someone else commented

about you guys not covering firearms. I just jumped in with my comments

2 Likes

Yup - I just couldn’t resist teasing you that your probably right more than you claim. :wink:

1 Like