Always stay alert.

Large Cottonmouth.

When at outdoor ranges it’s not only other shooters you might have to worry about.
This bugger could put a real hurting on a person.

17 Likes

Only if your range is near a body of water or marshes!

5 Likes

Well, yes, but then there are other issues in outdoor places. I shoot on BLM land, and it’s shared by a variety of users. The human-type generally (generally) know not to wander into the area normally used by shooters, but these girls do not, and they often lie hidden in the shade of a juniper bush:

7 Likes

I see lunch. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Pretzel? Looks yummy… :yum:

5 Likes

Beautiful looking snake. But yeah, one of you surprising the other could be an issue.

8 Likes

I have a .22lr and a .450bm with that snakes name on them.:gun:

2 Likes

Karachi, I don’t destroy a creature unless absolutely necessary. All creatures serve a purpose.

7 Likes

Oh I agree until they approach me or come inside my house like the last one did. We have 2 kinds in my neighborhood, Bull and Rattlesnake, look alike and act alike.

4 Likes

At the range I go to we’ve had to call a cease fire because of Red Tail Hawks, Deer, and Elk coming into the firing area. And the RSO’s had to go out and chase them off before we could start shooting again.

7 Likes

last march at my club…we get turkey, deer, pheasant, birds landing on the backstops and steel frames, which really cracks me up.

5 Likes

You don’t want to make a cottonmouth mad at you. They’re known to chase people.

6 Likes

Better check wit the RSO!

2 Likes

No RSO on the BLM

6 Likes

Not everyone has babysitters at their range, I would not shoot at a range that had them. Just me. :thinking:

2 Likes

Shooting, the way it’s meant to be!

3 Likes

Next time your at your favorite outdoor range and need to stretch a little, put some twist in your steps while practicing; get a bigger bang for your money !

Why You Should Add Movement to Your Defensive Plan | An Official Journal Of The NRA (shootingillustrated.com)

3 Likes

Range Safety Officers are not there to babysit you, but to help when you have questions or, I have had a firearm failure and it is great to have another opinion to fix. I took the class 2 years ago you have to take the test yearly, but is fun to have. You may be the undercover range safety officer that no one knowns about and you save a life or just makes safety with your practice better. Guess what ? You are trained RSO, and all the picking, screaming, and blaming that the know it all RSO do at the range goes away and you know how to be a professional at the range; problem solved.

6 Likes

As an RSO at an open range on forest service land, I keep a 45 handy on my hip—not for some crazy guy at the range who goes loco—but for rattlesnakes! Use caution however: First, that photo is not of a rattlesnake, and second, rattlesnakes are learning. They have learned that rattling (gives advanced warning) reveals them to be a rattlesnake. Now a days, they don’t generally rattle. They learned that from gopher snakes. Look for true rattles before you unload on them. (I carry snake shot in my first round in the 45 when on duty.)

3 Likes

Edgy01,

Never said the snake was a rattlesnake, said a Cottonmouth, which is a Water Moccasin.
It’s a good idea to be able to recognize dangers creatures.

2 Likes