Alternative weapons: How effective are they?

This does not answer the question. If at a courthouse, how are you armed correctly?

That is when a weapon of opportunity is most important… when in situations where you are either unable to have your personal defensive weapons, or if you are somewhere where you are able to carry…your defensive weapons are not functioning as intended… in other words, if you expend all ammunition, and if your knife is dislodged from your hands or becomes trapped in the bone of an attacker or is knocked out of your hands… what will you grab.

Are you able to carry a flashlight into a courthouse? Most, yes, some perhaps not. Many do not allow a phone, and some might limit flashlights.
You are thinking single syllable. Trying far too hard to always have everything you need or at least some of your EDC. You are not thinking of situations where you are not allowed to be armed, or where you have expended all your ammo, and your knife has become lodged in the breast bone of an attacker, or was knocked out of your hands.

If you fail to or refuse to consider weapons of opportunity, and consider weapons of opportunity to be a loss of all hope, that does suggest if you do not have a firearm, you are surrendering. Perhaps that was not how it was intended.

A problem here is, you are surrendering the language to the left. Allowing them to establish the way words will be used and how they will be interpreted.

Again, my background would sound rather concerning in the general public, so I do tend to watch words with care.

Think about this carefully. First, why would ‘weapons of opportunity’ correlate with ‘pick up a weapon and RANDOMLY attack people’? At that point, it is NOT the words ‘weapons of opportunity’, it is the false narrative of people simply picking up something and attacking someone for no reason. You need to stop worrying about certain words, which I am using correctly as they are weapons of opportunity, and correct his misinformation, accidental or intentional, about people in general and those who carry for self defense… we do not ‘randomly attack’. Second, his comment about self defense insurance, should be addressed and if he has sense, he can easily have it explained that the insurance is not to allow someone to do anything they want, or to let them simply run around shooting others… but to help pay for legal expenses if … and that is a big if, the person is FORCED to defend themselves from imminent threat of harm or death.

PC has nothing to do with ‘weapons of opportunity’.

If you are somewhere that is high threat, a weapon of opportunity might be the AK-47 or AK-74, or SKS that was dropped by the dead terrorist or insurgent, or in Kroger, it might be the broom stick, or something else suitable to defend yourself with.

Kroger is just an example, I carry and Kroger allows you to carry.

wait… did I give you the impression that I thought that was a valid correlation? I don’t think that’s in there in what I said. […sigh…] I didn’t make up that correlation, that was an actual conversation last night, with an actual person. That correlation didn’t start with me, its out there, in the wild, and I’m pretty sure he’s not the only guy who thinks that way.

NO I didn’t just let it stand, YES I did of course address his misconceptions. I’ve actually been doing this for quite a long time, forty years or so.

I do concern myself with words, they are pretty much what I’ve got to work with on mediums like this.
And pretty sure the only thing I need to do is get some sleep or I won’t be worth paying tomorrow, and my team needs me in the morning.

@Kevin29 the field’s all yours. Have a peaceful night.

We are talking past each other and comprehension is being lost.

I never said you thought or said it was a valid correlation, I asked how is it a correlation. When I ask a question I am asking, not stating. If the conversation you had included the idea that ‘weapons of opportunity’ is the same as ‘picking up a weapon and randomly attacking people’, there is an issue with the person that needs to be corrected. I did not make the accusation the conversation you had was false.

If as you say the correlation of ‘weapons of opportunity’ and ‘picking up a weapon to randomly attack people’ is out there in the wild, instead of surrendering the language and conversation, as it is a completely absurd correlation… how does ‘weapon of opportunity’ (which usually means in an emergency, or situation where you need to defend yourself) even remotely join with ‘random attacks on people’?
We should ensure we use the words correctly and not allow the left to confiscate the language or the words.

Again, we must not surrender the language, or allow the left to use words or absurd scenarios to create false narratives.

Sorry if there was any misunderstanding. I do not see ‘weapons of opportunity’ to be PC… it is only a factual and accurate description of what may be available to defend yourself with if you have nothing else or were unable to be armed or your weapons have either failed or have no ammunition.

1 Like

I saw the video, and the device is amazing.
The no violent force statement is very misleading though. This device includes weights, it can wrap around the neck, and can knock a running person off their feet. A cool “nonlethal” option, good for PR, not sure how effective.

1 Like

I saw the demo video on their site a couple months ago… it didn’t show it being used on anyone who wasn’t standing at attention. The clip on this article shows it being used on a couple people who are shuffling mildly along. I have to really wonder how it does with someone who is, say, running… or jogging… or fighting… or attacking… or just briskly walking.

I know they’re based on bolos… which have large heavy weights on the ends and can be used to take down large animals, but so far I haven’t seen any video available which would work on people in any real kind of motion. :thinking:

2 Likes

A mere $1,200.