accidental discharge ?

I think its healthy for the community to talk about both. I don’t care too much if a thread crosses over either way. As long as I can learn something from the discussion.

7 Likes

Yeah. Discussion is the key for the knowledge.
But we have to avoid mistakes talking between each other here. Otherwise we forward these mistakes outside and one day it may look stupid…
It’s the same when we hear: “hi powered rifle” or “9mm round blows the lung out of the body”.

Agreed, but we cannot mix them.
Accident and negligence are completely different and it’s a huge difference regarding discharging the firearm.
So far most of us were posting about negligence, thinking about accidental discharge. And these are NOT the same.

4 Likes

Maybe you should start your own thread on that topic and their differences ?

1 Like

Correction ;
Ok ok ok… I stand corrected…I had two —negligent— discharges … and yes I am highly embarrassed about it

3 Likes

No needs for another thread. I just want all of us to use the proper names of the things we are experiencing and describing.

3 Likes

You are correct. Neglience is due to a mistake on the part of the person with the firearm; accidental is due to a malfunction of the firearm. However, following the safety rules, in both instances, unless it is a total failure of the firearm, such as a chamber/barrel failure, we will still likely be safe.

3 Likes

Perhaps one of the safest handlers of firearms are those who had the unfortunate incident of such an accident. Talk about “learning”. Could also make for a good teacher. It runs deep and serious.

:innocent:

2 Likes

Or, better yet, learning safety first, or learning from other people’s experiences. Second worst (first being one’s own mistake) is, as a recently posted meme stated, learning from the mistakes of others that followed your advice… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Here we have a great example of what a firearm owner calls accidental discharge and what it’s defined as negligent discharge.

I’m hoping we’ll keep political discussion out of this thread.

1 Like

Agreed, the political party was not involved in the neglient discharge. One other point in this story was this, and another issue of concern:

The report also indicated that alcohol was a factor in the event.

3 Likes

All too often. Usually at night, usually in the bedroom at home.

(Couldn’t resist)

2 Likes

Well, perhaps keeping political discussion of this topic is in order. This lady is one of those decrying the right of self defense, yet she herself admits to keeping firearms in the house and she was messing around with her current squeeze’s duty gun it would appear. I agree with her. She should not be around firearms. She is a danger to her neighbors. No mention of where the bullet landed. I wonder if any neighbors have a strange hole in their house? I suspect if that were a neighbor of hers, she would be screaming for county jail time at a minimum and organizing demonstrations in front of the neighbor’s house. But no, blowing out your patio door is a mere bagatelle according to her mouthpiece.

3 Likes