A Poll - How Do YOU Avoid The Look Of Being A Potential Victim?

Yes @Ronald150 thats the one.

2 Likes

6ā€™3" 265lbs, 35yrs old, mosly bald with short cut or shaved head, long beard black, some good red and some grey, have a belly but a good bit of muscle as well, Romeo Shoes or heavy boots, utility pants, button down shirt untucked.

I have used my size and my wear to look like a person not to mess with, without revealing anything concealedā€¦ It has worked to my advantage by de-escalating situations as the other person sees a really big person, a person they dont want to get into a conflict withā€¦

6 Likes

Alertness/Awareness, letting others around know Iā€™ve seen them and continue my eye sight radar without looking syco myself.
Oh it helps that Iā€™ve been a Harley man for 47 years and advertise it.
USCCA has helped me immensely with all of life guidance.

6 Likes

Itā€™s important for me as a woman to avoid looking like a victim. I walk strong, look in the eyes of people around me, nod hello to let them know I see them, never on the phone to and from the car. Wide strides, purposeful walk, and a vibe that says, ā€˜donā€™t evenā€¦ā€™
It has come in handy a few times. Itā€™s confidence and a take no s*** attitude.

12 Likes

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about @Wanda3 the Barbarino and George Jefferson combined.

5 Likes

6 Likes

Ooh! Wouldnā€™t the TSA and cops everywhere love =that= one!

3 Likes

I been carrying it around for 2 weeks and so far no comments. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been told that is how I normally look at people.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been told that I look angry, like someone looking for someone to f##k with me.

I walk with a purpose, keep situational awareness. Iā€™ve gotten good at not quite looking directly at people while letting them know I see them. If they approach me, I look at them but not exclusively, as they may be the distraction for their partners-in-crime to surprise me.

I walk wide around buildings, cars, and walls. I have practiced paying attention to my side vision so my head doesnā€™t have to whip around to see all that is around me. I have trained myself to be very hard to startle.

5 Likes

Try your best to avoid confrontational discussions with law enforcement while carrying that. Most states have laws against ā€œbrass knucklesā€ and the statutes are sufficiently vague in their wording to cover almost anything. In some enlightened states brass knuckles are okay. Some local jurisdictions have their own laws where state preemption has not precluded local jurisdictions from having their own laws against such instruments. Personally, if you have a firearms carry permit, how much more dangerous are you with a set of brass knuckles? It seems to me that any thinking legislature (ha ha ha. I also believe in the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny and a fat guy with a flying sled pulled by animals) would encourage carrying a somewhat less than lethal self-defense item as opposed to carrying a firearm where one can reach out and touch someone not even involved. With brass knuckles, itā€™s a little difficult to smack the little kiddie exiting his grade school a block or two distant, but it is way too easy to hit the little kiddie getting into mommyā€™s car a couple of blocks away with a handgun.

I have read the pertinent statutes in Kallifornikadia regarding carrying a knife and as I understand it, I can carry any kind of sharp instrument (with certain very specific prohibited items) as long as it is in plain view. I can carry a 36" samurai sword in its scabbard as long as it is in plain view. Interestingly, however I cannot carry a sword cane under any circumstances. I have trouble differentiating between a sword cane and a samurai sword in a scabbard but who ever thought that laws had to make sense?

I have to admit that I am confused and unclear as to what kind of knife I can carry in my pocket. The prohibition against carrying a dirk or dagger is so vague that almost anything sharp in your pocket can get you at least a short visit to the crossbars hotel. It seems the CA Supremes feel that a Swiss Army Knife that had the blade folded did not meet the concealed dirk/dagger definition, although that didnā€™t help the guy who had the SWK. He still got to spend some time in the bastille while the case worked its way up to the Supremes. Itā€™s the same with a shobi-zoe, that ninja weapon of mass destruction. I am not going to describe it. Your assignment is to look it up. The Supremes have ruled that it is perfectly legitimate to possess a shobi-zoe as long as you can articulate an agricultural use for possessing such a dangerous device of mass destruction. If you canā€™t articulate an agricultural use, you are dead meat and itā€™s off to Folsom for you. Does a knife that has a finger tab that swings the blade into an open and locked position meet the definition of a switchblade knife? I have read the definition and it is vague enough that I think if you possess such an instrument in Kallifornikadia it might earn you enough time in Folsom for the case to reach the CA Supremes. I think if you walk around with a knife clipped to your pocket, you are just asking to have a discussion with Officer Not-So-Friendly which may end up with you searching the bulletin board by the phone in the booking area for the names of bail bondsmen and criminal defense attorneys. Does USCCA cover you for carrying a concealed dirk or dagger if Officer Not-So-Friendly decides that your CRKT tab actuated knife is a switchblade? It really doesnā€™t matter if the DA decides not to file against you if you have already had to post bail and pay for an initial consultation with Dewey, Cheatham and How, criminal defense attorneys. Oh, and by the way, meet some interesting and colorful new friends while awaiting the arrival of the bail bondsman.

4 Likes

Thanks for your concern and the time you spent typing, but no thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I walk with a purpose like I belong there. No eye contact. Sometimes I walk with a really pissed off look on my face.

2 Likes