The science of who criminals target

9 Likes

There are some great points being made in this video. It made me think of how I walk, and I know I walk with intentionality. My head stays on a swivel and I am always looking at, and speaking to, other people when I am out in public.

7 Likes

Very prescient and true. That has definitely been my experience, even just a couple of days ago I had someone walking toward me. When he noticed that I was looking at him, he crossed the street like I was some gangster with a posse with me - and I am an older white dude. That was one of the most unusual reactions to my presence I have ever had. The other was when I had a large Bowie knife sheathed on my belt and the crowd of youths blocking the sidewalk parted like the Red Sea for Noah.

5 Likes

There was another thread about this. I referred to what Drill Sargent Preston called “Walking like you have a purpose” . Dig your heels in, look ahead, not at the ground, I personally hold my hands in a “C” shape like I’m fixin to grab something. Around here, where I live, I’ve taken the attitude that “They” need to fear me, they need to see my as the Alpha. I’m kind, I’m polite, I have manners but I also have presence. I look at it like this, it’s a balance, I want the vulnerable to see me as a safe place and the predators to see me as an unsafe place. I’ve been told I walk like an angry man.

5 Likes

Admittedly, if I saw you walking towards me with a bowie knife, I’d probably cross the street, too.
Not because I’m afraid of knives (although I am), but because you look like a re-enactor.

1 Like

I do? Interesting. What would I be re-enacting? Did they use black nylon sheathes, wear shorts, destination-related t-shirts and modern-day hiking boots? Maybe it was my short hair. :rofl: On at least several occasions, I have been asked if I am a police officer… :rofl: I guess attitude is noticed… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I would never even think someone was a police officer if that person was sporting a bowie knife.
I might wonder if that person is hunting werewolves.

(I have a nice sharp bowie knife, I’ve just never had the balls to wear it in public.)

3 Likes

I walk in a manner so the other fella thinks, “not a prey.”

:grin:

3 Likes

Crocodile Dundee walks around with a big Bowie Knife. :laughing:

3 Likes
5 Likes

Did Noah part the Red Sea before or after Moses built the Ark? :grin:

3 Likes

I do prefer the slightly bloody and disheveled look, women love it too!

Or the calm cool, put your brains on the back wall look!

Then again, there’s always the, you can’t touch this look!

2 Likes

I do not typically. I wear it walking trails/hiking. That day I had just gotten back and did not want to be bothered with removing it before going to the store - it is legal…

1 Like

Yes, excuse me… Moses parting the Red Sea. Sorry I got the Biblical reference wrong… I will fact-check my Biblical references in the future before posting… Just because it was not in the Bible does not mean it did not happen… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yes, awesome scene. It is so iconic that even generations born after that movie was produced know the reference.

2 Likes

Get it Right Dave, there are a lot of people around here that take great joy in pointing out our mistaken references.

3 Likes

Glad I made there (sic) day… :sunglasses: Yeah, as an Atheist, Bible knowledge is not at the top of my list of things to learn. I did have Sunday school as a kid, though, and read the Bible as an adult, but that was decades ago. I have no issues with the values it teaches as they are solid values needed in society. I just do not believe in God. My other issue is with religion, as when one sees the immense wealth poured into the cathedrals, churches, etc., that could have actually helped those in need, one must wonder what religion values the most, property or people?

I apologize for taking this off-track. If you wish to respond to my post, PM me. Let’s get back to the topic at hand…

Edit: It was not Moses that parted the Red Sea, but John Charles Carter, aka Charlton Heston… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I agree that looking around is very important. But I think you also have to be careful not to be perceived as being too aggressive with your eye contact.

I grew up in a small town and live in the country so acknowledging people when you walk or even drive by is just the polite thing to do. When I go to the city and do this I tend to get the feeling most people think I’m a bit weird for nodding my head or saying hi when I make eye contact. Though I have noticed on several occasions where someone was assessing me as a target that doing that has taken them a little off guard causing them to pause and reassess.

But there seems to be a lot of insecure males, especially in more urban environments, who can view a look as an aggressive challenge and decide to flip into chest thumping mode. Some cultures also view looking someone in the eye, even for a brief moment, as a very rude and/or aggressive gesture. So as with all things, finding the right balance is important. I try for confident and aware in a non threatening way.

6 Likes

It’s a good thing that even youngsters can watch old movies online.

3 Likes

I thought you were intentionally being funny! :grin: I’ve seen you post enough to know you knew the difference.

It will be you catching me next time if you haven’t yet!

2 Likes