90 grain 9mm +P Ammo and small pistols

That’s the kind of comment that does sture the pot because there is quite a
Difference between a 380 ACP & a 9mm Luger. Respectfully ballistics show a significant difference. Everyone is entitled to a opinion but ballistics are black &
White.Check em out. THANKS. :us::us::us:

4 Likes

The moderator mentioned recoil, not ballistics. Much more subjective.

2 Likes

So if if a heavier projectile has more velocity and more foot pounds ( to me that’s ballistics ) and one is tied to the other. You can’t have one without the other right.
Love a marriage go to get her like a horse and carriage. Wait a minute, that’s not a good example. Thanks for your help.
:us::us:

1 Like

Generally, a heavier projectile will have less velocity than a lighter one when we’re talking about the same class of projectile. (Look at the muzzle velocities on different weights of the same caliber ammo.)

Momentum is a linear relationship, mass x velocity, but kinetic energy (foot lbs) is proportional to the square of the velocity, mass x velocity^2 / 2.

So, for example, if you cut the mass in half, and double the velocity, the momentum is the same, but the energy is actually doubled. When a moving bullet hits its target, and comes to rest, all the kinetic energy it carries must be dissipated.

5 Likes

I agree, ballistics don’t lie. Everything is tied together to include recoil
( Felt recoil ). Can’t have one with out the other. PS : It was very difficult getting my engineering degree so I’m ok with posted ballistics. I have a tuff time with the
The felt recoil formula. We could be in the same church, may be different pew. Thank for the research. See you soon, just taking a coffee brake form reloading.
:us:

4 Likes

Be happy you got um. I ordered some specialty BULLETS many weeks ago.
PS : welcome to the ranchola.

3 Likes

Check out the Super-Vel line of ammo. They are making some great ammo for self defense use. It does not over penetrate but has the energy to make a massive permanent wound Channel.

1 Like

There is all kinds of better mouse traps out there but, ( out of stock )

2 Likes

I just got a email from Super - Vel that said they had 9mm and 45 acp in stock.

2 Likes

I live in Connecticut, some states need a copy of your permit & drivers license.
Get em if you can, good stuff. Do all cowboys live in Texas. ?
Good bullet hunting. :us:

3 Likes

Do all Yankees live in Connecticut? (I hear at least one was in King Arthur’s court.)

2 Likes

Well taken cowboy

3 Likes

Thanks. I’m in North Carolina in a small town in the Foothills of the Blue ridge mountains. Have a great weekend Blacky. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Thanks @cowboy77792 ! I just got two boxes of the ammo I was referring to in the beginning of this thread. Super-Val 9mm 90 grain +P! My son-in-law wants to burn some ammo with me when he visits “early next month”. Due to the ammo shortage I have to put my curiosity aside for a bit, I’ll test the ammo I have purchased lately when he and my daughter come by.

3 Likes

Spent some time in Charlotte North Carolina in 1966-67. When I was station @ Camp Lejeune North Carolina. The people were very different and friendly there
Compared to Ct. PS If you didn’t order French fries with your meal you automatically got hush puppies at a restaurante . Nice meeting you.
:us::us:

3 Likes

I have been happy with the performance of the Super Vel ammo so far. I think you will like it. Have fun shooting and stay vigilant.

3 Likes

Lol yep yep yep you can’t have too many fri’s or hush puppy’s. :cowboy_hat_face::+1:t2:

2 Likes

That’s a subject of great debate!

I have a Hellcat normally loaded with standard pressure 115 grain JHP however I have been looking into Norma 65 grain NXD which is a copper injection molded fluted bullet. Recoil reduction was dramatic and accuracy was excellent. My wife can not handle the 115 grain but was able to put 10 rounds of NXD into the target. Gel tests look good but no track record on real use so I have not switched. It would be worthwhile if my wife can handle a 9mm again. She shoots a Glock 44 22lr which is the same size as a G19 but lighter. I could load up the G19 which would further reduce the recoil. They run $22 for 20 unless you catch them on sale.
Another possibility to reduce recoil would be the Norma 108 grain MHP. If you want to stay with a 115 grain JHP, Winchester White Box does pretty well at a reasonable price.

1 Like

Federal HST
Speer Gold Dot