6 Handgun Cartridges That Will Soon Be Obsolete | Field & Stream

That chain you have in the picture - if you know how to use it, it is a self-defence weapon too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mossad agents sneak up on people, their tools match their tactic.

2 Likes

40 & 25 disappears?

2 Likes

'Pears to me like Mr Mann isnā€™t using his shovel to bury the 25 auto, heā€™s using it to shovel manure.
Reckon he hasnā€™t tried to buy 32 acp ammo, or reloading dies, recently. All of them Colt 1903s that you canā€™t buy for less than $600 got to eat something, and thatā€™s just a small part of the 32 acp population.
There are also a ton of old 25 auto pistols out there.
Guns are still being produced for the 41 magnum, so somebody thinks itā€™ll be around for a spell.
Mr Mann needs to be taught the difference between ā€œI donā€™t like a catridgeā€, and ā€œthis round isnā€™t any good, itā€™s obsoleteā€.
Hank

4 Likes

.22 lr will be around forever.
before the scamdemic, I was buying at 4.3 cents around. Thatā€™s many, many, many hours of plinking.

3 Likes

Yep, professional ā€œinfluencers.ā€ As unimportant an occupation as ever I saw one.

5 Likes

A long time ago, I thought about reloading the .25. One tenth of a grain of powder was minimum charge and three tenths of a grain was maximum. I bought a .22.

2 Likes

Well, Iā€™ll be delighted to take those ā€˜space takersā€™ off your hands!

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Lawdog379 and you are blessed to be here.

3 Likes

Iā€™m tired of lying on cold concrete floors and busting my knuckles on engine components.

So Iā€™m teaching myself gunsmithing.

Guns are small and can be worked on in my basement

I was at the Crown Pt IN gun show today,

Iā€™ve been accumulating ā€œSaturday Night Specialsā€ (I have 10 now - parts guns) looking for magazines.

I want to build cooling small carry guns for gals.

I brought 4 frames because I have bought 3 mags on eBay and none fit.

I picked up 2 out of the 4 for 1/2 the price on the web - $45 for both.

So hereā€™s where I begin to come to the point.

Only one vendor had 25 ACPā€™s which 3 of my pistols require and there we ALOT of ammo vendors.

It made no sense NOT to buy a couple of boxes @ $45/per - ouch - but itā€™s clear those calibers may not be going away while moving towards niche sellers.

I then had to make an unexpected trip back to our campground because my wife forgot some personal effects.

Having the frames plus my daily carry Ruger 380 LCP I showed some (wife approved) lady friends 3 of the 4 small frames I took to the show a (Lorcirn 25 - Jimenz 380 and Phonix Arms 26 - 25 ACP - the 4th the was a Lorcirn 9mm - whoda thunkit?)

Anyway, I know these girls carry 1911ā€™s and G17ā€™s because ā€œthatā€™s what they were givenā€.

Well they went gaga for the small caliber guns and wanted to order them on the spot, so maybe thatā€™s a good sign for these small calberā€™s longevity.

Whose to say?

3 Likes

Everything is available for a price. iā€™ll likely never shoot them again.

2 Likes

If .25 is what he can handle, and place shots on target, I would say thatā€™s what he should use. Granted, it doesnā€™t have the greatest stopping power, but it is probably better than a shovel. (I know my shovel swinging and throwing skills have diminished over time. :slight_smile:)

Iā€™m personally particularly fond of the .40 S &W. I can shoot it reasonably well, and it has a fair amount of stopping power. I guess there are some calibers folks just love to hate. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was just perusing Springfieldā€™s website. It appears they have stopped offering any 40 S&W, but have increased their 10mm offerings.

1 Like

Parallel thread mentioned 5.7, ā€œthe other 22ā€. There are SIG and FN micro-compacts in this caliber. Unfortunately, I never had my hands on one, or know anyone who owns it.

CORRECTION: Oops, wrong - SIG does not offer a 5.7mm pistol, and FNā€™s is a full size. There are no micros in 5.7x28 on the market!

1 Like

If they do go away . Once the ammo makers realize there is still a need they will be back. Reloaders will be busy to. Yep I saw the segments on Lucky Gunner also

3 Likes

Iā€™m actually a big fan of the 40 S&W and with the huge amount of firearms out in circulation chambered for it itā€™s not going anywhere soon. I have friends in Law enforcement that have given me first hand accounts of how effective the .40 is against human threats. None have reported any failures to stop a threat expediently.

2 Likes

I also really like the 40 S&W.

I know that terminal performance of 9mm rounds has improved greatly over the past 25 years. But having to put down a few deer after they were struck by cars, I always found the 9mm to take too many rounds for me to feel like I actually put the animal out of its suffering, rather than adding to it before it died.

Not so with the 40.

From what I have read, all the major auto calibers are pretty equivalent now, but I still have that nagging discomfort about the 9mm.

If I had seen more recent use, that may not be an issue.

2 Likes

Would you be so kind as to provide a link to these Sig and FN micro compact 5.7ā€™s you mentioned?

1 Like

Actually, you caught me going off of a quick web search and not checking the results thoroughly. No, there are no micros in 5.7. I will correct my original post. Thanks!

2 Likes

MitchR- WHATS WRONG WITH YOUR WORK SHOP PICTURE ???

ANSWER>>> too dam neat <<< reminds me of my work area. My son tells me itā€™s like going to home Depo but, I have to give him the bay & slot location to find anything. :paraguay::paraguay::paraguay:

1 Like