.40 S&W: Dead Duck or Best Buy?

My daily carry is a Springfield .40 subcompact. At whatever range I need it, It will do the job and I can hit where I aim. For me it was a Best Buy. I recently picked up a HellCat 9mm. Still working on my aim with it. Once I can get to a range I will definitely get 'er dialed in.

3 Likes

Itā€™s already been stated many times, but .40 is a great round. My full-size HD gun runs .40. Great ballistics and good size for higher capacity.

I wouldnā€™t recommend it for a first gun, but it would work fine. I personally wouldnā€™t buy a smaller frame gun in .40, I find itā€™s snappier than 9mm or .45. (Might just be in my head with the .45 :joy:). You really canā€™t go wrong with 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP as long as you can shoot it.

6 Likes

I went away from 40 back in 2010 I think but it was simply because I was finally at a point I could train and shoot more and 9mm was cheaper. I never had a problem with the round and kept my Glock 23 as my EDC for a year due to liking it so much. Went to several shops and box stores today and .40 and .45 was about all that was available. If that keeps up Iā€™ll switch back to .40 S&W and never think twice. I do plan to stay 9mm though. Iā€™ve grown to love the little extra capacity and I do feel comfortable with a 124gr premium defensive round.

5 Likes

I bought a Browning .40 Hi-Power back in the 90ā€™s and it still is as accurate as the day I bought it. I will never get rid of it and use it for home defense. The hardest part, since it is no longer made is finding magazines at a reasonable price and now itā€™s getting tough to find ammo.

1 Like

I have several guns in several calibers. My first firearm was an HK USP .40. I still have it. Always goes bang, and has a great feel in the hand. Recoil is quite manageable. During the recent ammo crisis, I had a great deal of trouble finding 9mm, .45, 10mm, and even shotshells! Since fewer people shoot the .40, I was lucky to find good .40 S&W at very reasonable prices. I still find this to be true. If thereā€™s less demand, that can be a good thing, as prices have been falling dramatically. Itā€™s a tad slower than 9mm(in terms of velocity), but leaves a bigger hole. You be the judge.
I think shot placement and followup are the two most important things in a self-defense scenario.

2 Likes