.40 S&W: Dead Duck or Best Buy?

Here is an older video that tests the Ranger T load.

4 Likes

My gun ā€œhatesā€ that ammoā€¦jams on me every 20th round or so.

Isnā€™t it weird how guns almost have personalities when it comes to ammo and how it feeds?

4 Likes

@JamesR It has run perfectly for meā€¦ but your point is well taken and is why we should always test the ammo in the individual gun. I have a Walther that doesnā€™t like HST, but never has an issue with Hornady? On the bright side it gives me an excuse to try all the new ammo as it comes out though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Roger that brother!!! :+1:

e.g. ā€œOh hey honey, I bought a couple new boxes of self defense ammo to take to the range tomorrow to do so ā€œfeedā€ testingā€ :grinning:

3 Likes

Before the 'ammo drought" ended in 2016 it was good to have tested a few other brands incase my first choice wasnā€™t available.

2 Likes

A side noteā€¦ I think Lucky Gunner forgot to label the 165gr bonded for the other one. You can see the bonded bullet version in the pics of the mushroomed bullet (not the pic you posted).

2 Likes

It was probably me, I do better cut & paste on a computer screen than a phone screen :frowning:

3 Likes

Iā€™m an old guy, too, but even with a bit of arthritis in my hands I still like the .40. So far, the cost of ammo hasnā€™t messed me up too much. .40 is my EDC, except when I just canā€™t. Then I switch to the LC9 or Bodyguard. Mostly the Bodyguard because I can conceal it better.

2 Likes

Here ya go:

5 Likes

Excellent website @Gary_H! I just tagged it as a Fav. Thanks for sharing the article and the site.

4 Likes

It is a Springfield Armory sponsored website, so you will see a lot of Springfield HW on it, but it is a good site!

FYI, It is only one email a week if you register at the bottom of the page.

3 Likes

Some might find this comparison interesting:
Paul Harrell 9 vs 40 comparison

5 Likes

Now how can you argue with Paul? Heā€™s what you call a professionalā€¦but you be the judge :rofl:

(I love Paul H.)

5 Likes

Disclaimer: I carry both calibers but admit to a bias towards the .40 S&W.

The article seems to make the case for the 9mm based on recoil, rather than advances in bullet technology that other sources often reference. Wouldnā€™t the recoil of the .40 have been known before adoption of the caliber by police departments and the FBI? The 1990 recoil of a 180 gr bullet would not be much different than the 2019 recoil of the same weight bullet, did they change the standard for what was acceptable recoil?

2 Likes

Ironically, thatā€™s why the FBI didnā€™t go with the 10mm because of the recoil and the challenge a significant number of their agents had shooting it. So the .40 S&W was more recoil friendly than the 10mm and more powerful than the 9mmā€¦so a perfect hybridā€¦or so the story goes, lol.

4 Likes

If you pick up the old 10 and 40 S&W all steel frame pistols they were using back then (close to 40 oz unloaded), you might have a different recoil perception than to the sub 25 oz firearms that have become more prevelant in the last 30 yearsā€¦ especially in the even lighter weight and smaller subcompacts.

4 Likes

Just offering an alternative opinionā€¦ Although I have read literally hundreds of internet posts, articles, and even authors for some gun magazines saying the same thing you are sayingā€¦ a few years ago I came across a post on a forum supposedly from someone who was involved with the testing of the 10mm for the FBI (source not vetted for credibility).

He said that the FBI simply told Federal what they wanted from the ammo, and Federal made it, and that the FBI tested only that lower powered load (180gr @ around 950-1000 fps from a 5" barrel IIRC). He suggested that the more powerful loads were not handled by the agents therefore no one complained of the higher recoil of the more powerful variants (since they never shot them).

I also donā€™t know about the size of hands being an issue, as the 10mm S&Wā€™s were single stacks, although the finger reach for DA is pretty far,

Maybe itā€™s untrue, but something to think about.

4 Likes

Very well could be and I wouldnā€™t be surprisedā€¦all my information is from the ā€œinternet loreā€ from various internet gun-tubers gun authors you reference (and as we all know the internet is never wrong, lol).

2 Likes

With the SO I started with a Glock 19 for duty and a 26 for off-duty/backup with Federal hyrda shok 124 +p. When we switched to .40, I switched to a Glock 22/27 combination. A few years later we went to the G35 as our duty weapon. In .40 we were issued Federal 180 hydra shok.
The recoil with 9mm in the 19 or 26 were only slightly different. The recoil of the 27/22/25 were considerably different. I hated the long slide on the G35 but damn did it increase accuracy!

4 Likes

A note of potential interest to Scotty,ammunition is ( or was) developed along specific power curves for the bureau. The original intent was that a perpetrator to question was more valuable than a non responsive entity or body.

In addition as all here I am sure are aware,couple the above with calculations on average distance of an encounter etc. And you get some thoughts that are very different from a citizen looking for a terminal solution .

Relative to ammunition cleanliness of burn, and weapon have a lot to do with it,however I note that on ammunition like the ranger 40 it drops more than say fiocchii. And terminal velocity with fiocchi and burn rate (cleanliness) seem to give an advantage without going plus p. Expansion is also good( just something to consider,and compare to what we are all shooting )

5 Likes