360 CQD/CAR Technique

Most people are familiar with the CAR, now 360 CQD, system from some of what Keanu Reeves does in the John Wick films but it is based on a real technique originally developed by a police officer/trainer named Paul Castle. It emphasizes weapon retention and speed in close contact situations out to about 10 yards. It looks like it would also work very well for shooting from inside a vehicle. After looking into it a little bit I think I am going to add this to my toolbox when time and money allow.

My original firearms training had some shooting drills from low retention and I taught myself to shoot from high retention in case I encountered a charging attacker. But both these require instinctive shooting without the sights. The CAR system allows use of the sights while still keeping the handgun in close for better retention. It also solves any eye dominance issues you might have allowing lining up the sights with either eye while still keeping both open. It is not a replacement for traditional techniques for longer range shooting but does seem very useful for keeping close targets from getting their hands on your gun or for use in tight spaces.

Has anyone trained on this technique with Jeff Johnsgaard or anyone else?

4 Likes

I was introduced to this few months ago during Defensive Pistol class.
That time it looked interesting, however I got a hard time to use my non dominant side.
After few days I dropped the idea of practicing this, I never found a situation I would need it.
I feel more comfortable with traditional shooting stance and keeping the pistol close to my body.
So either shooting from retention or if sights needed, the pistol is never closer than +/- 1 foot.

2 Likes

This technique is good when clearing a house, this position allows you to maintain maximum cover and concealment. It is definitely a close combat technique. One should seriously train with this before thinking about trying. Train, practice and be safe!

4 Likes

I have seen this technique several years ago. I have practiced some of the techniques. Some of the techniques are part of other close-quarter defense, too. I believe it can be useful if we ever need to protect ourselves in close-quarter defense. Here are some clips (no pun intended) of the technique.

2 Likes

I train like this about once a week using my Sirt Pistol throughout my home. Low retention, no sighting takes constant training to hit the target within the center torso area.
As others have said, so long as you train your one step to betterment.

5 Likes

That is one thing that interests me with this technique. Being left handed and right eyed I am already using the opposite eye so this position actually feels very natural to me. You use the nose to block the strong side eye which should reduce double image problems with a little practice. I also like the increased retention potential of this compact technique.

2 Likes

That’s right procedure using the nose shape to make a single vision.
My problem was with losing focus while closing the pistol to my face.
It must be something related to my vision…

2 Likes