23andMe: Major Data Breach

This is really shocking!
I see deplorables asking, who’s “honeypot” was it?

6 Likes

So now, the DOJ can tell who your Great Great Grand mother was…?

5 Likes

More like, 4A rights concerning DNA collection for a couple million people, who were customers of 23andMe, as well as their close relatives, just went down the toilet.
And Wuhan Institute of Virology got a step further in their genetic weapons program.

12 Likes

If your motive is to break in to a genetic database, I don’t see anything good coming from it.

5 Likes

Nothing to see here folks.
I’m sure that the 23andme site started with the purest of intentions, but, never letting an opportunity to screw-over the gullible, governmental agencies, pretty much from the start, started using the data collected to find people of interest in a host of situations. Some were good, like solving cold case murders. However, doing this began a super slide down a very slippery slope that has opened so many doors to corruption. I am not convinced that an “outside hacker” was responsible for the breach mentioned in the article. Maybe I’m wrong.

11 Likes

Someone motivated to break into a DNA database might possibly be someone looking to create a bioweapon… Speculation for sure, but what other motive could there be?

6 Likes

DNA-fingerprinting a few million people without their consent.

10 Likes

My understanding is they have been selling data to anyone willing to pay and giving it to the 3 letter agencies for free since they started. Don’t think there was any private information left to steal.

6 Likes

Blackmail, for one.
I use a different DNA tracing outfit, and found I out had a nephew I had never heard of.
It appears as though my brother wasn’t as careful as he might have been.
That kind of information in the wrong hands could cause a lot of damage.

5 Likes

My son did one, found out we are all, way back, Western European white folks. In todays environment that could put us on a list.

5 Likes

My Cousin did it, my great something was born on the Mayflower before landing on Merica

5 Likes

I’ll never do it. Call me paranoid, but I feel exposed just typing my thoughts on politics and gun ownership into this little forum. No way in hell I’m giving my DNA to be analyzed and recorded, along with everything that entails. I know enough about my history from good records kept by my family going back to pre revolutionary times. I know the names of my direct ancestors on my mom’s side who fought against King George. My dad escaped the commies in East Germany. That’s enough for me.

My daughter (and my wife’s dad) were adopted, so I do know they both have some interest in it, but I’m hoping neither do it.

7 Likes

I am sorry about your misfortune LOL.

2 Likes

Are you sure it was your brother… or from someone else you’ve never heard about? Did your brother hear about this? :thinking:

1 Like

My son did a dna test and it showed that he is 95% British. He looks just like me (rules out the mailman) except 6 inches taller and I’m half German. Paternal grandparents came from Germany, maternal great grandparents from France and America. Wife is Irish. We followed our family tree back as far as 1800’s. Wifes side to 1700’s. No Brits at all. I don’t have much faith in dna tests. Would never do one myself.

5 Likes

My brother said I was wrong and that he traced our family back to the invention of the wheel.
We are awaiting our royalty checks. :wink:

5 Likes

My brother did a genetic testing, and interestingly our ancestry led our family tree being descendants of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain, following the traces all the way to the 1500rds when our ancestry came to the NEW SPAIN (PRE-America). We have a very interesting History. Think “Conquistadores” Ties with Hernando Cortez (the Sea of Cortez in Baja California), who married the daughter of Montezuma (Aztec Emperor of Mexico). Then on descending on to other :roll_eyes: Conquistadores who I will stop here :grimacing: cause of you all know when all the historical STATUES started to be taken down in protests :wink: :smirk:. After the Mexican/American war and Mexico surrendered 1/3 of what completed the full United States of America including the Gadsten Purchase of what it looks like today, and ALL CITIZENS BECAME AMERICANS!!! :hugs: :+1: :clap:. BUT! :point_up: since all the History of the United States from years prior to 1848-2023 WTF is going on Here in the Homeland NOW! :angry: This Country SERIOUSLY needs to get back on track!

6 Likes

Have you ever had a blood test, colo-gard test, an allergy test, etc.etc.etc.?
If so, you very likely are already on a data base controlled by at least one government agency. (However, that qualifies as an oxy-moron, because if one has it, they all do.)
Sorry for the bad news.

7 Likes

…and this information, leaked illegally, cannot be used against you in court. Presuming due process is not completely dead.
Now stolen property or data, that ends up in the hands of Law, is fair game in court. So there is a fundamental difference.

4 Likes

Never thought of that. I do get yearly blood tests. Scarry stuff.

4 Likes